help with wireless security

Status
Not open for further replies.

00xtreme

Solid State Member
ok, first off i've tried searching the forums but couldn't find quite the answer that i needed. heres my problem, my dad has a desktop at home and a linksys wireless router. his desktop is hardwired into the router and when i'm home from school i use my laptop wirelessly around the house. he wants to secure the wireless though so only i can get on, and not any neighbors or something like that. i've played around on his computer trying to figure it out, but havn't been able to yet. does anybody know how i can do this? i'd really appreciate the help, thanks.

on either computer that's connected to the router, open up your browser..type in 192.168.1.1, if it ask's for a password and username.. use either the default "admin/admin" or whatever you had put on.

Click on the "wireless" tab.. then the "wireless security". Once on this page you can set up a 64/128 bit WEP encryption. 64 bit is fine, it allow's the fastest data transfer. But it is easier to hack through, so if you're really worried about it, use a 128 bit WEP encryption. Make sure your set to use the default transmit key as #1, and type in a word into the box then hit generate...

On both the computer's, you'll have to use that first key to connect to the router, so keep it safe :p. You'll be asked to put that key in when you try to connect to the router wirelesly, so just copy + paste so you don't make any mistakes. And enjoy :)

I am going thru the same thing and i followed your instructions. When i clicked "generate", it generated the 4 numbers and then when i clicked "save" (i think?) everything stopped working. I now get a "this Page cannot be displayed" error. Not even 192.168.1.1 works any more. what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom