HELP!! Wireless Network Connection Drops!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonline

Solid State Member
I am on a Sony VAIO RB-34G desktop running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2. I am connected to a 2Wire (AT&T) HomePortal 1000SW wireless gateway and a EN104TP Netgear hub viaa Linksys External USB Wireless Network Adapter model #WUSB54AG.

This computer disconnects and reconnects contantly, without warning. It could be as little as 5 seconds, or as much as a day between each of these disconnects. It reconnects within about 15 seconds. The odd thing is that when it reconnects and even just before it disconnects, it has a "Very Good" signal strength. I have tried many things and I'm not sure what else to do.

The thing is, I have several wireless computers on this computer, and none of them ever have any trouble with this. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in how to get this computer to STAY connected. It is not very easy to do things such as streaming, instant messaging, uploading, downloading, etc. when the wireless internet continually drops. Any prompt help would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Are you using WEP 64 bit or 128 bit? You might also try changing the channel and assigning that particular computer's IP address manually. Use something that's out of the DHCP range. Change the wireless mode to 2.4Ghz only.

I am fairly sure that the encryption is 64 bit. I know how to change the channel. It is on channel 6 now. Could you walk me through changing the IP address manually?

The weird thing is that this computer only started having problems recently. There have been no major harware changes, it just began doing this one day.

Thanks for your help!

oh and I'm not certain as to how to change the wireless mode either...sorry. So if you could key me in as to how to do that, it would be wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom