Help setting up a LAN at work (Hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerLite

Beta member
I've been thinking about setting up a multi-room LAN at my work. I would want to connect workstations between 3 rooms, with 5 computers in 2 rooms and 3 in another with the option of adding more in the future. Each room should also have an individual printer.

From what I understand the setup I would need to undertake is a Hybrid of the bus/star setup. Using Coaxial cables to run through the 3 rooms, the cable having bnc connectors.

From my limited understanding I would then need to place a hub in each room to connect the workstations to. The questions with the hubs, is would I need to ad a terminator to the spare hub connections? (In the room with 3 PCs) or doesn't that matter.

Of course I would connect the workstations to the hub through Twisted Pair cable with RJ45 Connectors.

I would also need to know how I set up each Printer to a server.

And I of course would need to add a network interface card to each workstation to the ISA sockets.

If someone could maybe advise me on this, even if you only add little info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot

Did you say ISA? How old are these systems. ISA hasn't been around for about ten years.
How long are you cable runs going to be.
You dont want a hub. You'll want a router and a switch. The router will connect the two systems in one room and then run a cable from the router to the switch, then to the other systems.
Your printer will need to be a network printer (it'll have a ethernet adapter)
Are you going to be connecting these to the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom