jtaubman

Beta member
I need to setup a firewall for my home network. My current setup is:

1 WIN2K (Cat5)
1 iMac G5 (wireless)
1 Dell Laptop also 2K (wireless)
A Cable Modem
1 Linksys Wireless Router

What is the most effective and economical solution?

Thanks in advance!

what do you want to get out of the firewall? What is your spending limit? Are the firewall and NAT capabilities within your linksys gateway/router ok?

-mike

Get free firewalls on all the pcs I suggest kerio. There are a lot of free ones out there. Don't go with hardware thats just a pipe dream. Software allows you more control I think.

get you a software firewall to an configure it to your ip.
norton and zone alarm does it automatically

hardward firewalls use to be all you needed. that is not so anymore. they really can't stop things that are already on your computer

Smoothwall Express 2.0 Firewall

I'd recommend using Smoothwall Express 2.0. Smoothwall is fully functional router and firewall solution which runs at no cost and is used on x86 based pcs as slow as a 486dx4 with 32mb memory. It can be installed in under 500mb of space and supports a variety of network interface cards. It doesn't support 802.11 wireless yet because the code for wireless is closed. If you chose Smoothwall I'd recommend using another cheap wireless router and use it as a switch/access point. Software gives you more control but stability isn't as good as hardware routers for the sheer sake of user failure. This I mean is not the software itself, it is the clutter and space required for a pc, which might need to be moved. That's why hardware devices are used over pcs for firewalls. They arn't better but take up less space and have rom storage to ensure settings remain intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom