Help setting up exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxsped

Beta member
Hello.

I have exchange(exc) server 2003 installed on server 2003 and i want external email to be setup so that each workstation/user on the domain has their own company email.

So, as far as i can see you first need to buy a domain name that comes with email addresses. You then forward any requests to the email domain from within the domain control panel of the host, to your WAN public ip ?

After that you need to configure exc to accept the incoming email.

Finally you need to add and configure each AD user profile so that exc forwards the emails to the correct workstation/user etc

Actually all seems quite simple, am i missing anything out?

How do the MX records come into it, are they similar to A records?

Surely it gets more complex than this, this is still complex for me but i thought it would be even more so.

I must be missing things.

Hello.

I have exchange(exc) server 2003 installed on server 2003 and i want external email to be setup so that each workstation/user on the domain has their own company email.

So, as far as i can see you first need to buy a domain name that comes with email addresses. You then forward any requests to the email domain from within the domain control panel of the host, to your WAN public ip ?

Finally you need to add and configure each AD user profile so that exc forwards the emails to the correct workstation/user etc

Actually all seems quite simple, am i missing anything out?

Surely it gets more complex than this, this is still complex for me but i thought it would be even more so.

I must be missing things.

Yes. You use IIS (with SMTP and POP3) . You configure the IP address range you are given to subnet your e-mail groups that you have created in Group Policies.

Configure MX Records in DNS. Route Exchange 2003 email

Yes, via SMTP and POP3 (in IIS).

Yes, but it is easier to use Group Policy to do that, so you can arrange different kinds of e-mail accounts by departments within the organization, for example.

If I can be of any further help (assuming I have been helpful at all :p) , I have the text books on IIS, so if I don't know the answer I can look it up. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom