help required to get my machine on the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I just installed a network card in my old machine. I have been trying to install it but am unsucessful.

the network card is a D-Link DFE-530TX. I tried to use the wizard which the disc provided and the installation seemed to crash when it was removing the backup files(it had reomved 100 % and then kind of froze).

can you guys tell me how to install this driver and/or what am i possibly doing wrong. MY OS is Windows XP.

have you tried to get the drives VIA another connected computer? Might be the best option for you at this point...

Here is a quick question, can you see your network device in the device manager? If so, does it have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on it?

That would most likely be a driver issue, you can go to the properties > driver and "Updade Driver".

When it asks for the driver, point it to the Floppy or CD with the drivers and it should update.

Yes. i can see the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark.

While i was installing the driver, it said the driver had not been certified by windows xp or something like that. does that matter, does windows xp not like such drivers.

pls check for any irq conflicts.Fact is that DFE-530tx does not required any driver in windows xp.it will autodetect the card.

XP will not pick up drivers...

Vimal was incorrect that XP will pick up your drivers because it won't... and I doubt there is an IRQ problem.

Here's how you'll fix it. Go into device manager again and right click on the network adapter.
Uninstall it.
Reboot the machine with the card still plugged in.
Once the machine reboots, XP will automatically pick up the device and install a RealTek Driver to it (assuming you already haven't copied or installed the driver to system before).
Go back into device manager once your computer is back up and right click on your network adapter and click the first option which is update driver.
Make sure the software CD is in your CD ROM of course and a wizard will pop up.
select the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" option and hit next.
Next select the "Search for the best driver in these locations" option and put a check in the box that states "include this location in the search. Hit the browse button in the middle of the dialog box.
Select your CD rom drive and select the WinXP directory. So now if your CDROM drive was your D drive, the path would be D:\winxp. Then hit next in the wizard.
Your Network card will come up in the box. Highlight it and click next again.
It might mess around copying the files for a minute, but when that's done, click finish. And there you go
On WIN XP you shouldn't have to restart, and if you choose not to, check the installation by going back into device manager and network adapter. The adapter should now be renamed to the correct card.

That should do it. And if you don't have the CD, go online and download the drivers on another computer and burn them to disk at your house or a buddy's with a cd burner.

If you ever have any other issues and want real quick answers, go to my new BB listed in my signature.

i fixed the problem, actually the problem fixed itself.

I unplugged the network card, rebooted, plugged it back in, and win xp had detected the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom