Help! Problem w/ internet at my apartment - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help! Problem w/ internet at my apartment

Ok, here's the scenario:

I live on an off-campus apartment that provides high-speed internet as part of their package. To my knowledge, the internet comes from some central server far from the apartment complex. The speed is satisfactory; I can download / upload quite fast.

The problem is I ALWAYS get disconnected whenever I am downloading a large file or when I am playing multiplayer games. GetRight fixed the file download problem, but I cannot fix my multiplayer dilemma. If I want to play games online, I'm either going to have to find a solution to this problem or get a new internet connection. The problem with getting a new internet connection is that I would have to pay extra for it because the high-speed internet my apartment complex provides is included in the rent.

I'm sure someone else has had this problem before. Does anyone know what I can / should do? Hopefully I won't have to submit to my second option, but I really do want to play multiplayer games without having to be disconnected every 5 minutes. Please help!

Old 11-04-2004, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Well......tell us what kind of hardware that the apartment gave you. Is it DSL or Cable?

Old 11-04-2004, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I believe it's a split T1. The only thing we had to do was configure a network connection w/ the following things:

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

I'm using a NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller as my network card with Windows XP.