Help please!!! Network home PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapmadi

Beta member
Hi I need to connect 2 pcs together I have an ethernet cable and I have connected both PCs together. My computer has an adsl modem (alcatel speed touch) connected to broadband connection. I need to enable file sharing and internet sharing aswell but the wizard on host PC wont complete wizard on the 2nd pc the wizard works, can someone help.

Network Setup Wizard Log
Attempting to set computer name
Old computer name is the same as new computer name - not setting.
Setting server description (comment): advent
Attempting to set workgroup name
Workgroup name is the same as the old one - not setting.
The Sharing configuration is unavailable.
Adapter Configuration for Home Networking failed.
Shared Printer: SagePDFPrinter
Shared Printer: Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Shared Printer: Lexmark X1100 Series
Shared Printer: CAPTURE FAX BVRP

im using a belkin #r7j304 5e 'crossover' cable.

When I manually enter a ip address on both TCP settings i get a 1000mbs connection icon coming up but i cant file share even though ive made files shared.

but network wizrd wont complete. does the log mean anything to anyone. Im a novice.

Here is what I would typically do when using a crossover cable...
Steps:
1) Make sure each PC has the same protcols. You will want TCP/IP, File and Printer Sharing, and Client for MS Networks. QoS Packet Scheduler is optional but not required.
2) Make sure the PC's have the same workgroup name. Defaults often consist of MY AREA, MSHOME, or WORKGROUP. You want to make sure both machines are using the same workgroup title.
3) Setup a folder and share it on each machine. Make sure that you set the permissions so everyone can access said folders.
4) Connect the PC's via the crossover cable.
5) Try to browse the network and see if you can see the machines or file shares.
6) If no machines or file shares are listed, then go to command prompt and type in: ipconfig /all This will give you lots of information. You want to check the IP addresses of each machine and see if they are in any way related. If they are way far off from each other, then it's not working correctly. At this point on each machine you can type: ipconfig /release and then type: ipconfig /renew to release the ip address and get a new one. See if the two computers are similar.
7) If the computers are still not close, automatically set the IP and subnet mask, set them within 1 of each other. Example:
Computer A) 192.168.0.101
Computer B) 192.168.0.102
Subnet masks of both A and B) 255.255.255.0
8) If it is still not working, no comptuers or fileshares when you browse the network, reboot and try again.
9) If it is STILL not working, try and research on google a bit. Also note, that if Computer A is connected to the net, it is going to get an IP that is way different than what windows assigns Computer B. Sharing the internet should be the last step, for the time being try to get the computers talking without the internet interfering. After they are talking proceed to plug in the web and setup internet connection sharing. This would all be easily solved if you had a router and two patch cables. Hrm. Also, use google for more research.

Yes I can ping both machines,

I am using an external dsl modem connected thorugh a UsB port on my host pc. I have ethernet port which I have connected via a cable to my 2nd PC (both on XP home). Do I need 2 network cards on my host PC. Please please help.

To be honest I really need it for file sharing more than internet. I was just thinking that only having one network adapter might mean that its not working. I tried manually setting ip address which getts the connection but i cant locate any files.

tapmadi said:
Yes I can ping both machines,

I am using an external dsl modem connected thorugh a UsB port on my host pc. I have ethernet port which I have connected via a cable to my 2nd PC (both on XP home). Do I need 2 network cards on my host PC. Please please help.

Wait a minute. You have 2 machines hooked up with a crossover cable, if you don't have 2 nics installed on the host machine, how are you hooking it up to the modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom