Help please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavster

Beta member
So I just ran 30 Cat5e cables to a patch panel in a server cabinet, and installed 8 Wireless access points (22 Computers/8Access Points)

Lovely, beautiful job.

-------------------------------
I have ADSL internet, and I want to employ some sort of Linux Firewall, I was thinking of a system with 3 network cards, one in (straight from ADSL modem) and 2 out, to two 16 Port auto-sensing switches.

I was thinking of the 'SmoothWall' project. Would this work, and would this automatically assign IPs via DHCP?

Thanks,

Gav.

So I just ran 30 Cat5e cables to a patch panel in a server cabinet, and installed 8 Wireless access points (22 Computers/8Access Points)

Lovely, beautiful job.

-------------------------------
I have ADSL internet, and I want to employ some sort of Linux Firewall, I was thinking of a system with 3 network cards, one in (straight from ADSL modem) and 2 out, to two 16 Port auto-sensing switches.

I was thinking of the 'SmoothWall' project. Would this work, and would this automatically assign IPs via DHCP?

Thanks,

Gav.

SmoothWall isn't very well at detecting certain network card, I've tried Smoothwall, not very good and very low features. Go with pfSense, you'll have much more fun running that than SmoothWall. Both Smoothwall and pfSense, including m0n0wall and ipcop all have DHCP service, NAT/PAT for sharing a broadband Internet. What I like about pfSense is addon, especially the Squid add on for filtering URL and OpenVPN easy to configure VPN for clients who wants to connect remotely and securely to the office over the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom