Help With Networking For Ps2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Closeyboy39

Solid State Member
Hi I'm thinking about putting my PS2 online, but have a few complications. We have two computers; one upstairs (with cable internet) and one downstairs (without). My PS2 is downstairs, and I was thinking about buying a wireless router to get the downstairs computer on the internet, and then running a line from the computer to my PS2. Is that possible, and if it is what is the best way to go about doing it?

Well I'll have the router run the connection to the computer... and then run a line from the computer to the ps2... is that possible?

actually it might be possible. what you'll need is a wireless router, a wireless network card and an ethernet network card(if ethernet is not already onboard with the motherboard). connect the router upstairs and insert the wirless card downstairs and on the pc downstairs enable Internet Connection Sharing. configre it (search google for guides). then connect the ps2 to the ethernet port of your downstairs pc and it should work.

this is all in theory as i've never done anything remotely close to that and you most likely will run into some trouble until you get it all running smooth.

That's what I thought you could do... Thanks for your help, and if you find out anything else.... just go ahead and post!

You will have to assign a static IP to the PS2. Make sure it's outside the DHCP lease. As long as you configure the gateway, dns, etc properly, it should work fine.

EDIT: remember with this setup though, you will have to keep your pc on to be able to play online with the PS2. Just something to keep in mind.

ok if this helps, it's gunna look like this...

---- = wired
___ = wireless

cable modem----computer----router____computer(downstairs)----PS2

hope this helps u understand my problem.. also if you have any suggestions on routers or other equip. i may need... feel free to post it. thank you!

no. it would be:

cable modem-----router-------computer upstairs
|_______computer downstairs---------PS2

i think most wireless routers also have one or two ethernet outputs. find one that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom