Help with Networking and Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

visweetee78

Beta member
Hello All,

I am currently helping a small neighborhood church with setting up a computer lab. The lab will be used by anyone that does not have the priveledge of having a home computer, mainly for the children.

There are 5 PCs donated to the church and they have a PC that is connected to the internet via COX cable internet in a room on the 1st floor of the church. What I want to do is setup the 5 donated computers upstairs on the second floor to have internet access using the already installed COX setup in a wired setup.

I started testing with one of the donated machines, by bringing it down to the office where the COX cable PC is located. The Cable modem is connected to the COX PC via USB. So I connected a Lan cable from the ethernet port on the COX modem to the Internet port on a Linksys Cable/DSL router. I then connected a Lan cable to the 1st port on the router and connected the other end to the network card in the donated PC. The network status box changed to Connected, however I am unable to browse the internet on the donated computer. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? I checked the TCP/IP settings on the donated machine and it is set to DHCP. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I need to do. I stayed up Troubleshooting this issue until 10 p.m. last night and finally gave up, which is something I hate to do. I will be at it again on Saturday, so feel free to give any tips or tricks.

Thanks
VISWEETEE

Personally, I would call Linksys support. I have a linksys, and have used their support several times. While they amy be using a database/script, they are good with working out the different issues.

I would suggest, however, that you use something to lock the computers down/filter the content. Something like this:
Integrity Online | Internet & E-mail Filtering. Church Internet Filter

While you are on hold waiting for the Linksys tech support person (it can take a while, in my experience), try checking for any firewalls on the donated PC. If there are any running, try turning them off and see if that has an effect. Otherwise, LInksys Tech Support should be able to fix the problem for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom