Not open for further replies.

Wicked_Sludge

Solid State Member
Ok, for the 3rd time, im trying to setup my home network. heres what i have:

an XP home laptop w/wireless card
an XP pro desktop
a vista (sorry, i didnt mean to swear) basic desktop
an ethernet switch

i want to plug the 3 computers into the switch and have the 2 desktops be able to use the laptop's wireless connection.

my first problem is when i run the home network setup wizard on the laptop, it gets to the end and says and error occured (doesnt say what) then it tells me to try running it again with different settings (i cant) or to configure the network manually (which i dont know how to do).

heres how the network is physically connected:

network.jpg

the laptop uses a wireless signal from outside the network. id like the 2 desktops to be able to use the wireless network through the laptop.

im not real great with networking, so any help is appriciated!

good information there. i bookmarked it for future use.

but my current problem is that i cant even get my wired connection to show up on the laptop. under network connections, i can see and configure the wireless card, but the ethernet adaptor/connection isnt there at all. when i do the ipconfig/all in a command window, i only get IP info for one connection, the wireless.

under the device manager, both cards show up and it says my ethernet adaptor is working properly.

i know this laptop is capable of doing what i want because i had someone help me set it up this way before with different client computers. im just not sure whats changed between now and then :confused:

no, it doesnt show up in the network connections. it has to show up in order to right click/disable it....so i dont think its disabled (if it is, i have no idea how to enable it since its totaly missing).

the only evidence that the wired network adapter even exists is in the device manager...:confused:

its an old dell inspiron 1200...im pretty sure i have thoroughly lost the original discs...but i might be able to download drivers from dell....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom