help with a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdwstfll

In Runtime
ok.. heres the set up

we have an office next door for my families business and thats were the main router, modem and switches are.

we have a cable running underground into the house for the internet. There is a switch in the house for mutiple ethernet connections.. everything work in this set-up..
heres where it gets tricky

i want to put a wireless router in the house, but not the office... im not allowed to touch any of the networking stuff in the office, only in the house. how should i set up the wireless... i tried taking the wire that goes from the office to the wireless router (its belkin 54-g) and that worked for awhile, and now the internet light isnt lighting up.. i dindt touch ne thing.. it worked for a few hours...

should i set it up as an access point or what... please help me out!!

thanks

if you need anymore information id be more than happy to share

Who manages your office network? Maybe they found the router and got yanked that it was on there and shut down your connection.

no one.. its liek a 3 person business.. my step dad is an idiot.. and he wants me to have the wireles

First give the wireless router a valid IP on the network, so if the gateway is 192.168.1.1, give the wireless 192.168.1.3. then shut off dhcp on the wireless.

then plug the linefrom the office into port one on ur wireless router. and that should do it.

you shouldn't even have to assign it its own IP. Even with DHCP/NAT turned off on the router it should grab an IP from the existing DHCP Server. (There is a DHCP server already, yes?)

I'm trying to understand exactly what you've done so far. You unplugged the home-side switch and plugged in your router? And after a few minutes its stopped working? And for those few minutes you were able to do all the glorious things the internet allows?

yea i was able to do all the things on the internet.. now when I connect the cord, the internet light doesn't go on. The routeres default Ip address is 192.168.2.1. I didn't try 192.168.1.number.. will that do the trick???

yes there is a dhcp server already, because there are about 8 computers connected to the network already.

the internet works when i connect it to the switch in the house, just not the router

thanks guys

What happens if you do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew? Do you get an IP in the correct range or do you get a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx?

mBernhardt said:
you shouldn't even have to assign it its own IP. Even with DHCP/NAT turned off on the router it should grab an IP from the existing DHCP Server. (There is a DHCP server already, yes?)

I'm trying to understand exactly what you've done so far. You unplugged the home-side switch and plugged in your router? And after a few minutes its stopped working? And for those few minutes you were able to do all the glorious things the internet allows?

The router wont pick up an IP addy, turning off dhcp in the router tells the router not to act as a dhcp server.

jrdwstfll said:
yea i was able to do all the things on the internet.. now when I connect the cord, the internet light doesn't go on. The routeres default Ip address is 192.168.2.1. I didn't try 192.168.1.number.. will that do the trick???

yes there is a dhcp server already, because there are about 8 computers connected to the network already.

the internet works when i connect it to the switch in the house, just not the router

thanks guys

Depends on the ip scheme it is using. I just used the 192.168.1.xx scheme cause thats what most use. when you do an ipconfig you'll see what you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom