Help needed, Setting up of Client x2 and a Server.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Tomorow I have to Set up a Server with two Client PCs, Now I know how to set up the accual hardwere side of things but not sure about setting up the Client PCs to talk or interact with the server.

I was thinking about setting up the Router from the Telephone line, have the Router Connected to the Swich and the two client PCs conneted to the Swich. Now the Server it self I was also gonna connect direct to the swich, but not sure how to set up the Windows XP Pro Softwere for the Buisness I'm haveing to do this for when it comes to getting the Clients talking to each other and the Server.

I know you have to shre the Hard Drives on the network but not sure about permissions or what it is exacally I'm doing with the configuration.

Being in the UK, the Buisness is protected threw the ISP Company the server it self. But I'm worried about the Security of the Server for this Buisness being connected directly to the Internet threw a Swich, thus then the router.

Can anyone help.

assuming the router has lan ports on it, i would connect everything to the router. spend time configuring the firewall on the router. The router prolly setsup NAT to enable public and private addressing. This and file permissions should cover security.

what server software you running? what software are the clients using?

Thanks alot Office for the Feedback. The Clients are running XP Pro and the Server is Running Microsoft Server 2003, Now when I went in to the Office for this Company I set up the Systems direct to the Swich, that being the server, and the two desktops. They were able to access the server and use the printer just fine on the two Clients like I say running XP Pro. Now they have since had a engeneer out for the Broadband line, as their were problems wich has been fixed.

The Engeneer has advised to take the swich out of the set up and run like you have seid direct threw a router. The netgear swich wich is what it is has been taken out but they have rang me to advise on what router they should bye. I coulnt see a problem at the time with the setup and seid if you need more ethernet ports then yeah a new new router but not sure what one to bye.

So if I configure the prolly setsup NAT on the router for public and private addressing when they acutally bye a new router and set up the fire wall will this give them access to the server and the printer function in the office while provideing security for the server. I will take it that it depends on what the configuration will be within the fire wall and the prolly setsup NAT when it comes to enableing the public and private addressing.

Back
Top Bottom