Help me, I'm stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks.....I'll try remote desktop........gong to buy a router now.......I'll let you know how it works. Just send me the bill...LOL....thanks again

the store I went to only had wireless routers, which wouldn't help me. So I got a kvm switch.....it does the trick. I only wish I had gotten one with audio, but this will work for now. Thanks for all the help

A wireless router would have worked ok for you, as they are essentially the same thing as the wired router, but with a wireless access point bundled inside of it. The prices between the two are pretty similar (wired is a little cheaper, but MOST routers at brick & morter locations that I have been to are wireless now)....

Since you won't need the wireless, you can go into the router settings, and disable it to prevent others from leeching off of the connection.

Thinking about it... I need a KVM too, but I am too cheap... lol, I just have 2 mice on the pullout drawer, and 2 keyboards, 1 under the desk..

Another thing you can do if your monitor has the proper connections is to have one computer using the vga connection and the other using the dvi connection.

yeah, after talking with a few people and then reading it again here I now realize that the wireless router can work wired as well so I'll be getting one soon. I still like the kvm switch and will keep it instead of using a software based kvm type program. Thanks for all your help guys

If they are apples, then you just need a crossover cable and appletalk on both.
Otherwise, you'll need a PC Card/network adapter card in each computer (probably already has em) and the cross over cable and maybe a hub, although not necessarily with just two computers. Once connected they should "see" each other.

The switcher seems like overkill to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom