Help me get signal upstairs

joshdbeard

Beta member
This past week my friend and I each moved into our own 1-bedroom apartments.

Our building is essentially a HOUSE that was split into 4 separate units. If you are looking at the front of the house, I am on the bottom left and he is at the top right.

We set up our Arris DG860 modem/router through Time Warner (yay....) yesterday and I have it in my unit (bottom left of the house) up about 3 feet from the top corner of my room, towards the middle of the house. For him, it is basically 10ft to his office area and 10ft to his bedroom...diagonally through some walls.

While I am getting the full 20/5mbps down here by the router, he could not even stream anything last night and was getting around 7/2 speeds.

Different router?
Try to figure a way to wire ethernet up there?
Something to extend the range?

We need help. While we are in two separate units we want to split the Internet bill, as we are students, and anything helps. We had Time Warner in a 4-person house last year with a Motorola modem/router and that pushed signal to our basement, main floor, and upstairs all over with no problem.

HomeRouterSetup_zpsac8f31a3.jpg.html

Thanks in advance! :)

A powerline network may work for you; the performance will depend on your electrical wiring and results vary. Another option is to get a wireless repeater/extender.

Depending on the router, you may be able to cobble together a DIY signal booster if you don't mind the eyesore.

Back
Top Bottom