Help installing a network printer on a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
So, basically I connect my computer to a network that is already working and has a working network printer (I think with built in print server), but I'm having a hard time adding that printer onto my computer.

Here is the process I go through to install the printer:
> Control Panel
> Printers and Faxes
> Add New Printer

From there, the Add Printer Wizard starts.

> Next
> Local printer attached to this computer (with "automatically detect" unchecked) > Next
> Create New Port > Standard TCP/IP Port > Next

A new wizard pops up, Add TCP/IP Printer Wizard

> Next
> I enter my printer IP (10.1.10.11 just for example), Port Name fills itself out > Next

This is where I get confused. The message on the next window says "The detected device is of an unknown type." I have two options. One says "Standard" and gives me a drop-down box with a bunch of different types of devices. Plenty of printers listed, however, my Dell 5100cn is not. My other option is "Custom" in which case I can configure a few options, allowing me to specify Raw and write in a port number or LPR and I can write in a Queue Name.

I downloaded the official Dell 5100cn drivers from Dell's support page, however, they didn't have any executable file. I tried setting up a "new hard connected printer" (that obviously isn't there) just to see if it would let me install the Dell drivers, which it did (by allowing me to select an INF file), however they still aren't selectable when I go to install the network printer as described above.

I greatly appreciate any help on the matter.

Oh, and I'm using Windows XP.

You have to select the 'network printer' option instead of 'local printer attacted to this pc' if you're trying to install a printer that you're connected to thru your network :)

You have to select the 'network printer' option instead of 'local printer attacted to this pc' if you're trying to install a printer that you're connected to thru your network :)

Actually, the original thread poster is doing it correctly. It sounds like he is installing a "network printer" but don't let the IP address fool you. Here's the logic behind it:

When installing a printer through windows it will ask you if it is a "local printer" or a "network printer". It asks you this because it needs to know where to send the print jobs and how it needs to "speak" to the printer, if at all.

Network Printer: If the printer is connected to another computer on the network, via 1284 or USB, then all the computer has to do to send a print job is send it to the computer that is hosting the printer connection... so the driver for the printer only has to exist on the computer hosting it.

Local Printer: Same logic, it just needs to know "how to communicate with the printer", if at all. So, if the printer is attached directly to this computer via IEEE 1284 or USB then this computer will be talking to the printer directly, therefore it needs the driver installed locally. This is ALSO true for a pritner with internal ethernet adapters, like the Dell5100cn (c = color, n = networked). The printer is a "network printer", but windows still needs to install the printer like a "local printer" in the sense that this computer need to have the driver installed locally.

So, think of it this way: If the printer is attached to another computer on the network, then its a "Network Printer" (according to Windows installing it). But, if it is going to be connected and talking to the printer through USB, IP address, or 1284, then it's going to be installed as a "Local Printer"

As to the actual problem, try here and download the .EXE
Drivers & Downloads
After you setup the IP settings for the printer, it will ask you the printer type...you are doing everything right up to this point. It will have a list of printers (you said yours wasn't listed.) It should have an option "Have Disk" or allow you to tell it what type of printer this is. This is where you say "Have Disk" and point it to where the Dell installation from the .EXE made the folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom