Help for a friend(network problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a side note... if all he wants to do is "manage" the connection and can't due to the missing icon, there should be a linksys utility to manage the adapter. Within the utility there "should" be an option to remove the rights for the option bit that says something like "Allow Windows to manage this connection". And when you uncheck it, it will allow you to manage the connection with the Linksys utility instead.

*just a thought* I'm assuming a lot there, but it may lead to some other fact finding material in your troubleshooting steps.

Well this is intriguing. As i can not figure out what else it could be. Do the drivers reinstall? Does he have any yellow ! marks in the Device Manager?

Well this is intriguing. As i can not figure out what else it could be. Do the drivers reinstall? Does he have any yellow ! marks in the Device Manager?
The drives had no problem reinstalling and windows says the device is working properly. I searched google for the better part of a few hours and there seems to be no fix to this... I read through hundreds of threads across 10 or so forums and I couldn't find any fixes.

Is this device even compatible with his version of windows? Never stated if he was running XP or Vista. Some USB devices are not compatible with Vista and just will not work with it.

Is this device even compatible with his version of windows? Never stated if he was running XP or Vista. Some USB devices are not compatible with Vista and just will not work with it.
That was answered in the 3rd post, but it is XP.

Still doesnt answer if the device is compatible with XP. ;)

Could be a virus/spyware/adware, etc... I had this SAME problem on a laptop I worked on for a friend... He had a virus on it. I got rid of the virus (seemingly), and re-installed windows (without formatting). Computer was updated and everything fine. After 24 hours, his wireless went out. I went over to look at it, and there was nothing in the network connections section. The wireless worked on my LAN, but he couldn't re-config it for his... This worked fine after a format / re-install.

Is your friend using a LEGIT version of windows? When I was workin on my buddy's laptop, I had to download Windows MCE five times to find an unaltered version to burn to disc. The other 4 didn't pass virus scans. (Buddy has legit WinMCE key on the laptop on the OEM sticker, but no restore disc's, or OEM windows disc... OOOOOLD laptop, running pentium 4, and weights about 800 pounds).

If it was a really big issue, I would just back up important stuff, then format & re-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom