Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakaa

Solid State Member
My friend wrote this, not me...

i have had a linksys compact wireless-g usb adapter connected and working
fine for about 3 or 4 months now. all of a sudden the other day i my
wireless network connection icon has disappeared. i have just spent the last
3 hours reading other forumns but no one seems to understand the problem.
the wireless device shows up in the device manager and appears to be working
fine. i can connect to the wireless internet fine. but since that wireless
connection icon is missing i can not manage the wireless connection. i have
followed the steps in How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP and they
did not change anything...the icon is still missing.

i am not saying it isnt appearing in the tasbar so do not tell me to goto
the wirless connection and right click prperties and check the show icon in
notification area when connected. also i have reinstalled the drivers and
hardware about 10 times now so do not tell me to goto device manager and
check that it is working...i have done this after every reinstall and
everytime it says it is there and working.

. but since that wireless
connection icon is missing i can not manage the wireless connection. i have

Does it show anything in "my network places<view network connections>

followed the steps in How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP and they
did not change anything...the icon is still missing.

So what exactly is your os?

i am not saying it isnt appearing in the tasbar so do not tell me to goto
the wirless connection and right click prperties and check the show icon in
notification area when connected.

Okay so where isn't it showing up at?

Does it show anything in "my network places<view network connections>

So what exactly is your os?

Okay so where isn't it showing up at?
1. No nothing shows up there.
2. He has XP.
3. He just didn't state his problem correctly, if I understand what he's saying.. It's not showing up in the taskbar.

Okay this should be under teh networking section. Moved.

It could jsut be that the icon was turned off....

Okay this should be under teh networking section. Moved.

It could jsut be that the icon was turned off....
No it shouldn't be. It's a windows problem being that he cannot access the internet, and his MAC changer(he has to use one to be able to play games at his college) sees NO connections.

As it states in your topic Title:

Help for a friend (Network Issue)

Why would i leave it in Windows when we have a Network area? Please do not try to tell me how to do my job. Thank you very much. I know what i am doing.

Is the router reset? Is the modem reset? Did he contact his ISP? Did he remove the Network drivers and restart the machine to get them isntalled again? Almost all of that is NOT Windows related.

As it states in your topic Title:

Help for a friend (Network Issue)

Why would i leave it in Windows when we have a Network area? Please do not try to tell me how to do my job. Thank you very much. I know what i am doing.

Is the router reset? Is the modem reset? Did he contact his ISP? Did he remove the Network drivers and restart the machine to get them isntalled again? Almost all of that is NOT Windows related.

I didn't mean any disrespect, and I wasn't trying to tell you how to do your job. We were in the middle of a game of BF2142 when he got disconnected and all this started.

He goes to a university. He's unable to touch the modem and router. If he calls the ISP they will not release any information. The other 1000 or so kids in the dorms can connect just fine.. So it's not exactly a network issue neither(if it still is, tell me how I'm wrong).

In manager it shows his usb drive, but under network connections he has nothing showing up.

Since I made the OP I had him.
Download the latest drivers from linksys(He had a cd but the drivers were dated) and that didn't work.
He uninstalled the drivers and restarted the computer "like 10 times".
I had him switch the usb drive to his front usb ports. No luck.
Then I had him do a system restore to a date when the drive was working, and it was a no go.
He put the USB drive in another computer to see if it was actually working and it worked just fine.

So okay let me see if i can get this straight. He goes to a Uni? So no access to anything there. Could it just be that the net is out in his Dorm Room? Since everyone else can connect why doesnt he get someone with a laptop to come and try to connect to make sure it is the PC and not the line.

So okay let me see if i can get this straight. He goes to a Uni? So no access to anything there. Could it just be that the net is out in his Dorm Room? Since everyone else can connect why doesnt he get someone with a laptop to come and try to connect to make sure it is the PC and not the line.

He's connected with his laptop and it works fine. The USB adaptor works perfect on the same computer, with his linux partition.(I just now found this one out)

So he uses a USB Connector to connect to the network. Did he try uninstalling the drivers for that and re-installing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom