Help expanding my wired and wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jangell

Beta member
OK...

I know just enough to be dangerous...Having said that here is my dilema.

I have a "wired home and have grown out of the 4 wired ports theat my SMC 2804WBRP-G Wireless Router Provides.

On my network I have:
3 Wired ReplayTVs (DVRs that have internet sharing capabilities)
1 WII Consol that coect wirelessly only
1 Wired Desktop
3 Wireless Laptops

With the above I have generally been fine with the 2804.

Storage has become an issue and I recently purchased an HP Media Vault 5140 (NAS) that I would like to incorporate into my home network.

I wired my house with Cat 6 when I remodeled ad will eventiually step up to a Gigabit network but for now am using "spare parts" from my office network and have "access" to a Netgear FS308 8 Port Switch.

My question is how do I use both the SMC Router (to get my internet out of my Comcast Supplied Motorola Surfboard Modem) and then add the FS 308 so that I can plug the new NAS device into the network.

I want my Wired and Wireless computers to have access to the NAS device.

I need wireless access for my WII

My replay TVs require a static IP address (which I have set up on the SMC Router)

I like using MAC Address filtering for network security
Any direction would be appreciated.

on the back of your switch is an uplink button. If it is pressed in then it is ready to connect to your router with a normal cat5 cable. Put a cable from your router (any one of the 4 ports) into port 1 of the switch and you are ready for action. Plug any item you want into the remaining 7 ports on the switch. You can still use the remaining 3 ports on the router. Now you got 10 ports. that should hold you until its time for gigabit ethernet. here is a little reference material for you. ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/fs308inst_eng.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom