Help? Ethernet Networking Shortcut?

jon2341

Beta member
I am extremely new to how Ethernet works and pretty much clueless about network setups.

So I want to setup an ethernet network in my new house which I've discovered to have CAT5e cable in every room's wall with telephone jacks. Each cable just runs to the boiler room in the basement where it's just sitting there, not connected to anything. We don't use a landline.

I want to convert each/most telephone jacks to an ethernet jack connect them to a networking switch in the basement, which then connects to a router in the living room. However I'd rather not drill a hole between floors.

Here lies my question, Can I use the ethernet jack that is right next to the router to go into the uplink port of the switch, which then connects to each bedroom's ethernet jack? Will this work?

If the jack you want to use is a straight shot back to the basement where it can plug into your switch then it should work ok. If the wall jacks are indeed "phone" jacks they are probably rj11 or rj12 and you would need to replace the jack with rj45 which is standard for ethernet networking cables.

Are you sure it's truely wireled with cat5e and will be able to carry fast ethernet speeds?

If the jack you want to use is a straight shot back to the basement where it can plug into your switch then it should work ok. If the wall jacks are indeed "phone" jacks they are probably rj11 or rj12 and you would need to replace the jack with rj45 which is standard for ethernet networking cables.

Are you sure it's truely wireled with cat5e and will be able to carry fast ethernet speeds?

The wire says CAT5e on them. I think that confirms them right?

Yeah I think that would work fine then. You might even consider punching down and labeling your cables on a small patch panel in the basement, and then connecting to your switch. Then just connect your router to the switch via one of the cable runs like you mentioned, and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Yep switches are basically smart connectors, so Router > Switch > PC is exactly the same as Router > PC in your situation, except now you can plug in more than just one device thanks to the multiple ports on the switch.

Back
Top Bottom