Help deciding on first wireless setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

leglez

Baseband Member
I have never worked with a wireless network before and im wanting to try it out so what is a good wireless router with at least 3 wired ports

What is a good wireless pci receiver

What is a good antenna extension

What is a good wireless gaming adapter for a ps2 and xbox

Also this setup is for my new house and right now i have wired and i was wondering is there anyway to connect a network everywhere NR041 router and a Linksys Befrs41 so that my network goes like this:

Pc1, 2, laptop
|
Modem-NR041-Befrs41
|
Ps2 1, Ps2 2, Xbox 1, Xbox 2

Before you do this realize that wireless isn't the only, and certainly not the easiest or least expensive way to network all these devices together. You might want to look into HomePlug.

Wi-Fi cardbus and PCI adapters for your laptop and PCs will run about $30-50 each and wireless game adapters about $90 each. HomePlug powerline to Ethernet bridges can be found for $40-50 and will work for all of these devices. Plus they are a lot easier to setup and won't stop working if someone turns on a microwave oven or 2.4GHz cordless phone.

But if you insist on wireless you need to have a good central location for the wireless router, preferably high off the floor to get good wireless coverage. I've used a Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b wireless router for 4 years now and it's still working like a champ. I used to use a Linksys WGA54G for my PS2 and it worked great. I quit using it when I moved into an apartment and the PS2 was too far from the router to get a good signal. That's when I started using HomePlug adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom