Help! D-Link DWL-G510 Adapter Not Working - Code 10 (This Device Cannot Start)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun Hare

Beta member
Hello.

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I have installed a new D-Link Wireless G Desktop Adapter (DWL-G510) into my (old) computer. I am running Windows XP Home SP1 and my computer is an (ancient) Gateway 2000 233mhz. I have installed the drivers, shut down the computer, installed the actual adapter card and booted it up, but Windows XP never detects it. I have uninstalled/reinstalled it MANY times. I did go ahead and installed the hardware in 'Add Hardware Wizard' and I did find the D-Link Airplus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev B) so I installed the hardware manually. When I install it, however, it has the yellow exclamation point by the adapter pic and it reads, 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'. I have done a lot of troubleshooting to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Shaun

according to what I have found, these are the requirements for the card:

** Requirements **
* 300 MHz processor or higher
* Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
* 32 MB RAM
* Available PCI slot
* CD-ROM drive

Maybe that is why. but if you get rid of the overhead that comes with XP you might be able to compensate the different with a less taxing OS.

uzi9mm said:
Maybe that is why. but if you get rid of the overhead that comes with XP you might be able to compensate the different with a less taxing OS.

its possible, but I wouldn't guarantee it

Thanks guys. So there's a good chance it won't work at all? How do I go about getting rid of the overhead that comes with XP?

Thanks.

You can first try to right click the desktop/apperance and chose windows classic style,that would free up some resources.

Shaun Hare said:
Thanks guys. So there's a good chance it won't work at all? How do I go about getting rid of the overhead that comes with XP?

Thanks.

right-click My Computer go to properties, click the Advanced tab then click Settings by Performance, then choose Adjust settings for best performance, and Apply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom