HELP! Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

svlehtinen

Beta member
Hello,

This is my first post here on the forums. I am hoping that somebody here will be able to help me with a problem that just popped up a few days ago on my laptop.

Basic Details
- Laptop: DELL INSPIRON 1525
- Internet Connection: USB MODEM (NOVATEL WIRELESS OVATION MC950D)
.... link to my version of Novatel Modem: http://www.nvtl.com/pdf/OvationMC950D_datasheet.pdf
- Modem is branded in Canada as "Rogers Rocket Mobile Internet Stick"
- Operating System: Windows Vista
- Version of MSN: Windows Live Messenger 2009
- When problem occurred: 5 days ago

Basic Problem
Ok, so my problem started when my MSN stopped working. It wouldn't connect, saying that I had an invalid IP address. My Firefox and Internet Explorer both work just fine. Nothing else related to my internet connection is affected aside from MSN.

I am still able to ping websites and IPs no problem.

I ran the Messenger Connection Troubleshooter. It said I had an invalid IP address. I ran the Command Prompt as Administrator and ran "ipconfig /release" which gave me the following message:

"No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection white it has its media disconnected"

I downloaded WinSock Fix to try and fix my IP problems. WinSock Fix gave me an error that read: "Registry Import Information Not Found". After finishing the repair it also gave me "Error 53".

I then ran "netsh winsock reset" from the Command Prompt and although it said it was successful, after a restart the problem was still there.

I know that my problem only seems to affect MSN (web version still work by the way), but it's a very annoying problem.

Interesting Twist
My wife has the exact same setup as me and she has the exact same problem and it occurred at the exactly the same time.

I really don't get what's wrong or where to go from here. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Microsoft's support staff and help sections are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom