Help coneccting to internet though network @ work

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstoliker

Beta member
Let me apologize in advance to the lengthy description- I want to make sure all information anyone that could help would need was here.

I work in a small trailer located out side a large factory. I am trying to get Internet access.

There is a wireless bridge and switch inside the trailer which, if I plug my laptop into I get access to the network but not the Internet. It shows "access: local only" then it will show "local and Internet" and back and forth between the two. At no point can I actually connect to the Internet though. I am fairly certain the network does have Internet (although the PC in the trailer does not connect either) -any ideas? maybe a proxy sever or gateway configuration?

My laptop shows 3 wireless networks in range.
1 is WPA secured and asks for additional login information when trying to connect
1 displays as "Unnamed network" and is WEP encrypted
and a 3rd displays as "unnamed network" and is not encrypted. It comes and goes.
I've try capturing packets to crack encryption but I really don't know enough of what Im doing to get it done. Plus 2 of the networks do not broadcast there SSID's anyway. And I am starting to think all 3 are part of the same network somehow.

I finally got a hold of the IT guy for the plant and asked him about the wireless networks and if I can get Internet access for my laptop. He asked if it was a personal laptop and when I said "yes" he said he cant allow it because I would have access to the entire network as well. But he never said there was no Internet access from the network

We cant help you. As the IT guy already told you it isnt allowed. We have it stated right in our rules about this.

Tech-Forums is here for informative purposes only. We are not here to help bypass, or otherwise negate, security or any other measures put in place by a Employer, School or Parent. Any topic of such matter will be instantly closed.

There is a reason this security is in place at a workplace. You could get fired for bypassing this security. You could allow the network to become infected or worse have the information get hacked and leaked all over the internet.

Topic Closed.

thread_closed_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom