Help Computers to See Each Other with WRT54G

Status
Not open for further replies.

stsinner

Beta member
I have a Dell Centrino laptop that functions flawlessly with regard to the Internet wirelessly, and I have a Dell Dimension desktop which is hard wired to my WRT54G. The WRT54G is modded with the WRT-DD firmware for P2P purposes..

Problem is this: I have an external 500 gig connected to my desktop for the purpose of storing all of my photos on, and I would like to be able to load those pictures with my laptop and Photoshop them and then store them back on the 500 gig drive so that I don't have multiple copies everywhere.. Currently I have to load the pictures on the flash drive and plug it into the laptop.

When I click on My Network Places only the computer I'm on comes up, and I do have both computers in the same workgroup and I have File and Print Sharing enabled on both. I'm running Zone Alarm Home on both, and I have the firewall inside the router enabled.. Both computers are running XP Pro.

I hope I answered all the questions that would have been asked right off the bat and made the problem a little more difficult..

What do I do to get these two computers to see each other? It may not matter, but I'll just mention that I do have a network key installed and the laptop has the key correctly installed for Internet access, and I also have MAC address filtering enabled in the router, and the laptop's MAC address is installed into the permissions list.. Kind of complex security, but my neighbor was using my Internet. As I said, Internet works great wirelessly, but I can't see the other computer when I'm on either.

Thanks.

probably just a settings problem with zone alarm. Turn it off on both computers to test. can you ping the other computers?

probably just a settings problem with zone alarm. Turn it off on both computers to test. can you ping the other computers?

Well, thank you very much! That found the problem, and I can see both computers with Zone Alarm shut down. Now I need to figure out what setting needs to be changed.. Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom