HELP! Cannot renew IP and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazmonkey

Beta member
"This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem. "

I've been trying for a week now to get my cable internet to work...

I am running windows XP SP2 trying to use comcast cable internet....

I keep getting the problem while using the CD they gave me, it tries to install the modem and keeps telling me it cannot renew my IP or my ethernet cable is not properly connected (which it is,... not that hard to plug in both ends) Ive tried lots of different things at the advice of my friends and different forums but cannot seem to solve this problem for the life of me.

I've tried the following...

Deleting and recreating the threads LoadLCE "auto" and LoadSens "auto" under HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION/WEBCHECK in the registry

Disabling and re-enabling my 1934 connection and my LAC under network connections

uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for those two as well

using command prompt to do Ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
("An error occured renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DCHP server. Request has timed out." while renewing)

various other things that have worked about as well as making a snowman in hell

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy but I know almost nothing about internet connections and all that :(

Any help would be appreciated! I've tried contacting comcast and spent over 8 hours with them and their "tech support" but they can't or won't help me.

Try doing a ipconfig /release then power cycle the modem and your computer. then do a ipconfig /renew then do ipconfig and see what your ipaddress is . Also try pinging a web site and post results. Also what cable modem do you have?
Also if you have another cable try switching it.

You should just have to do the following:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

without restarting, it will release and renew right there.

I have found that if it will not release, If you restart after you release and before you renew it will sometimes pull a new IP. Not always. It looks like he has already tryed the conventional way. I do Tech support for a third party broadband provisioning company, I have ran into this issue a time or two. This is just one simple thing to try. May or may not work. But it does not cost anything to try.

turtile, for the second time, i've tried that. it doesn't work. I realize I don't need the comcast disc but when the connection didn't work when plugging the cable in like it should, I had to troubleshoot, and that's when I tried the disc to install any drivers and crap i might have missed.

charles, i am not sure what power cycling is but my cable is fine, I used it at my friend's house without a problem. I will try to restart without renewing and see if that helps the problem later. Also, if I ping a website it just says timed out. Just another note - my local area connection said 100 mpbs but when i uninstalled the driver for my LAC then my 1934 connection said 400 mpbs (and also did not work). Not sure if that is of any help, but I found it peculiar. (I have no clue what a 1934 connection is or why I have it but if I uninstall the driver for it it does not go away, just gives me errors if i try to look at its properties or alter it. My old dsl worked fine with it there, i just plugged in the same cable im using now and the LAC worked.)

warez monster, for the third time, I've tried that. it doesn't work.

Tried restarting and renewing, still got same error while renewing as described in post #1. "An error occured renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DCHP server. Request has timed out."

When I try and connect to a website via navigator I just get "site cannot be found" and pinging something gives me a "request has timed out" error.

I've also noticed that when I go to play tribes 2, I can connect via multiplayer but when I try to find a server to play on it won't connect to the master server. I suspect this has something to do with my fiddling around with my local area connection and 1934 connection (un and re-installing drivers)..... it worked fine before i did that but i am connected using dialup internet so I don't know how a problem with the LAC would come back and bite my dialup.....

Thoroughly confused and in need of help!

try this...

that ipconfig /renew /release hardly ever works... do it the old fashoned way... if it's giving you an ip address/dns of: 0.0.0.0, then try disabling the connection, then give it an ip of 192.168.1.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0.... Then enable....disable again... and set the ip to obtain by dhcp... make sure the cable is the right cable and make sure the cable company has your modem "activated"... you can expect Comcast to **** up everytime you get the service, so you have to call in and activate it by giving them the modem info.. if that doesnt work i have many more solutions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom