Help with 2 pc's 1 connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymarciano

Beta member
I have my pc connected to my brothers wireless router. I was wandering if there was a way i could hook another pc up to mine, wich is on the wireless network, and share the wireless connections. How do I do this if it is possible. So i have my pc connected to the wireless and the other pc connected to it through mine. Thanks for the Help

It sounds like you would have to put another NIC into your pc and bridge the two connections, then "Allow other computers to use the connection" for internet.

lets say your computer is COMPUTER A... If you want COMPUTER A to connect to the internet wirelessly, and have COMPUTER Z connect through COMPUTER A. all you have to do it connect the 2 computers with a CROSSOVER cable, then enable internet connection sharing on COMPUTER A - assuming that it is running windows...

What krame18 said applies when the internet is being shared via WIRED connection... the SHARING PC has to have TWO NIC's...

EDIT:Here is a link, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/, that LAW provided in another Thread on this issue.

rockymarciano said:
I have my pc connected to my brothers wireless router. I was wandering if there was a way i could hook another pc up to mine, wich is on the wireless network, and share the wireless connections. How do I do this if it is possible. So i have my pc connected to the wireless and the other pc connected to it through mine. Thanks for the Help

I didn't want to answer this because I have already been through this with someone already. Using Internet Connection Sharing only work well when you don't have a router, since you're behind a router trying to share your wireless signal makes it even harder. I try searching the internet for solution but came up short so I can't really be positive that it will work especially with a wireless signal involve.

How do you want to connect the two PC together? By cable or wirelessly? If by wireless then it gets more complicating, and it complicates the entire process even further.

Lets say you have two wireless adapter on Computer A, and one wireless adapter on Computer Z. Computer A first wireless adapter connect to the router for internet, it's second adapter will have to connect to Computer Z wireless adapter. This is call setting up an Ad Hoc network, which is a computer connected to another computer through a wireless signal. Because ICS doesnÂ’t have much flexibility or feature and Microsoft wanted to keep the software simple, itÂ’s much harder to configure it for internet connection sharing in this situation.

I kind of went through it with this person on this thread but his setup was connecting the two computer with wired http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112079

Re: Re: Help with 2 pc's 1 connection

Originally posted by Law
Lets say you have two wireless adapter on Computer A, and one wireless adapter on Computer Z. Computer A first wireless adapter connect to the router for internet, it's second adapter will have to connect to Computer Z wireless adapter. This is call setting up an Ad Hoc network, which is...

Using the same illustration, if Computer Z also has a wireless network adapter, why can't we keep it simple by just connecting it directly to the wireless router. Why still want to go thro Computer A in an Ad Hoc network? More complicated...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom