Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
I have Yahoo dsl and my portal is made by 2 wire.

My sons pc hooks to the internet and the network thru a usb adapter that has a phone line running to it, then it hooks into his pc on the back with a usb port.

This is not working...that adapter is always losing its connection and he cant play games online without it dropping.

What do I need to get so he can hook up to the internet and play games....will a wirless card work....or not....I am really stupid with this...I hope someone can help.

Thanks.
joe

Is that the 2Wire Home Portal? The adapter has a 2wire usb driver that also sees a newer version at the Windows update site. You choose the custom not express option once the system is scanned there for any updates available and you click to open the optional section seen in the left column for hardwares.

Place a chack mark on the 2wire item to see that downloaded and installed along with any updates. You can also review the update history while you are there. That should refresh the connection with the update.

a wireless card for on-line gaming is not recommended definitely, as even theoretical 54Mbps, it gives out 40 or even less bandwidth in actual. so your son will expect delays.

and I am little confused with the term (portal). you mean to say, your USB modem can support 2 PC's? and one of them is your Son's PC connected to it?

The dsl method is to run hard wiring out from the dsl router to each machine. The host pc will have a nik card while the others simply have a usb adapter to convert the phone type line into usb. The adapter plugs into what looks like a normal phone jack at one end and a usb port on the system.

The set of drivers for this will display pc port or similar when looking in the network adapters section in the device manager. Sometimes you simply have to remove it there with the uninstall option and use the add new hardware wizard to manually select network adapter from the list of hardwares to see a fresh set work.

I had that 2wire dsl modem back when i had dsl and its a giant pita. It would always drop when i used the usb connection. I suggest just using the cat5 connection instead.

Everything will be working fine for him, then he just loses the connection?

What other way could i do this that he wont lose his connection all the time....this is frustrating :-(

Thanks for you guys help.

If i recall correctly, the 2 wire dsl router has a phone connection, a cat5 connection and a usb connection. Use the cat5 connection and be done with it. The driver for the usb is crap and will do nothing but give you headaches. Also the tech support was utterly useless when i was trying to trouble shoot that stupid thing.

Could you tell me how to go about a cat5 connection....if this will work and he won't be getting dropped, then i am all for it.

I am pretty stupid when it comes to networking....so if you can help me out....tell me what all I need, I would really appreciate it.....Tell me like i am a fifth grader and i will understand...lol

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

Go to a computer store and ask for networking cables...since the people who work there are probably just as knowledgeable as the un-knowledgable customers. The box should say Ethernet, Cat5e, Cat6 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom