Having two isps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
Hi, I'm trying to connect two computers to the internet but don't want to go with networking because the speed is shared and when my brother is downloading files it would slow my speed down I think that's how it works. So, I would like to order internet from another isp. Crurrenly I'm using bellsouth on this computer but I want to get Speakeasy on the other computer. So, would this work? Would I be able to have two isps on one phone line? Thanks.

Nope, you cant have two ISP's on a single line. Most routers come with some form of quality of service which you can use to ensure that your traffic is given priority over his.

To have two ISP's would mean 2 phone lines, and so twice the line rental as well as twice the cost of your internet. You'd be far better off just getting a faster line if you are worried about speed.

Don't use Hubs!!!
if two isp's is what you really want get your self cable with extream and give him the slow ADSL then once you see what the internet should feel like , dump the phone cable thing. :p

You CAN go with another DSL connection (would need a second phone line for this one), or Cable connection, but it seems to me to be quite an impractical, expensive resolution to your problem.

My first suggestion would be to talk to your brother, and ask him to wait to download his large files... Ask him to do it when everyone is asleep, or when everyone is at school. I usually wait to do my large download until later at night, but even when I have large downloads going, I can play World of Warcraft with no issues, and alt+tab and surf the net at the same time with no problems.. also have AIM running in the background... Brother & sister also have AIM running in the background, and brother is usually playing Counter Strike Source every second he can..

What speed is the package that you have?

Rather good advice:

Ethereal_Dragon said:

My first suggestion would be to talk to your brother, and ask him to wait to download his large files... Ask him to do it when everyone is asleep, or when everyone is at school. I usually wait to do my large download until later at night

Two ISPs = waste of money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom