having trouble making a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitotsu

Baseband Member
hey im having a wee bit of trouble making a connection between to computers
i dont really want to share internet since its dial up and u cant really do that well ive heard of
but anyway ive read that a router is not really needed that i can just connect an ethernet cable to both computers to make a lan connection
i want this connection for gaming
could any1 give me a step by step guide of setting up a connection like this or in any other way any help is appreciated

Sure thing buddy.

1. Acquire a CROSSOVER Ethernet cable
2. Plug each ends of the crossover Ethernet cable into each Network Interface Card
ON EACH OF THESE COMPUTERS:
3. Click on Start
4. Click on Control Panel
5. Double click Network and Internet Connections
6. Double click on Network Connections
7. Right click on Local Area Connection (by default)
8. Go to Properties
9. In the list, find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
10. Left click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
11. Click on Properties just below the list, to the right
12. Assure you are in the General tab
13. Click on Use the following IP Address for both
14. To the right of IP address, enter: 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.4 (one for each computer)
15. To the right of Subnet Mask, enter: 255.255.255.0 (for both)
16. Press Ok
17. Press Ok

another problem has arose
i got the network running and we ended up fiddling around with it and hey we manged to share our dial up connection! woot
but my comp was ****ed like lagging with diablo 2 o_O so i reformated it now after a lil bit we got the network up again
but as for the internet being shared again that hasnt happened how would i make that happen

i did and it still dosnt work the comp that connects to the dial up is set to tell the network that and the comp that connects to the internet through the network does the same

and at some times our network seems to "crash" both computers wont be in the workgroup and we cant access the shared folder this seems to happen at random intervals

Hello, I'm Hitotsu's friend and I'll explain our problem a little better.

We currently have the lan up, and I know how to keep it up. The problem is getting our internet on my computer.
I've done the Network setup wizard so many times, and I can't seem to get our dial up internet through to mine. I did it once before hitotsu reformated his computer by just playing around with it, but now it seems to be far my stubborn.

Am I missing a step? I've follow the wizard and everything, but it just doesn't want to do it for me. Any help is Greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much Sodaen and superdave1984 for your posts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom