Having Issues with 1 Computer

itsHurricane

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my brother's computer when it joins (or is on) the network. Essentially what happens is, when he is on the network, my ping (ms) goes from around 35 to ~200 (to OCE Riot LoL Servers in Sydney) to the point that it feels like packet loss.

What I have done/checked so far:
  • Tried switching him to LAN. (Issue persisted)
  • Tried using a USB WiFi Adapter. (Issue persisted)
  • Tried switching him to a Google Public DNS. (He lost internet connection completely)
  • Tried disabling IPv6. (Same as above)
  • Replaced Internet Modem/Router with Netgear D6300 WiFi Modem. (Issue persisted)
  • Changed QoS settings on my router. (Issue persisted).

He uses a HP Pavillion Dv6 Series Notebook and I use an ACER Aspire 5750G Laptop. The issue only occurs when his laptop specifically is connected to the network. I have tried so many things but can't seem to find a solution. I'm getting NBN FTTH pretty soon (I'm one of the lucky ones who had NBN construction to the point of home installations just before the election) and hope that it will fix the issue. I should also be getting a custom desktop toward the end of the year so if it's a conflict between the two laptops it might resolve the issue.

Help if you can. Has anybody had the same issue before? I feel like his computer is DDoSing my network.

EDIT: Pretty neat having such a big juicy problem for you guys to help me with on my first post.

Last edited:
Yes, I've already used Port Forwarding for any servers that I regularly connect to. I've also gone and set my brother's laptop QoS to Low and mine to Highest.

I'm on the game right now while my brother is out and I feel like I'm sitting in Riot's basement with a LAN cable plugged directly into the server - no latency whatsoever.

Like I said though, I'm getting FTTH Optic Fibre very soon and that should (hopefully) reduce the severity of the issue/resolve it completely. Right now Australians are still stuck on our pre-existing outdated copper wire telephone network.

Are there any services (in services.msc) what are renowned for choking the bandwidth on (home) networks? I'm thinking either there's a misconfigured service or an invasive one that is doing this.

Is it possible your brothers computer is running a torrent program at all times? if so and assuming he has even a few torrents loaded at any given time, he could be simply just choking your upload bandwidth which usually destroys pings to game servers etc...
If this is not the case, do a search for a program called tcpview. Load it on your computer and check to see if your computer has any connections open to your brothers when he is on the network.
Good luck.

Is it possible your brothers computer is running a torrent program at all times? if so and assuming he has even a few torrents loaded at any given time, he could be simply just choking your upload bandwidth which usually destroys pings to game servers etc...
If this is not the case, do a search for a program called tcpview. Load it on your computer and check to see if your computer has any connections open to your brothers when he is on the network.
Good luck.

I make sure he closes torrents via the process before I (try) to play a game. With regards to your second suggestion, I have run ping tests on several computers (to Google) to make sure it was affecting the entire network rather than just me. Without him on (~28ms Average), with him on (~192ms Average).

Back
Top Bottom