Having Downloading issues

SWDay#12

Solid State Member
Ok so I built my system and was originally using a USB 2.0 Netgear wireless adaptor which usually works fine. My internet download spped is a wireless system since I live in the country on a ranch and my download speed is 4.5 MPS and upload is 512KB to 1 MB upload. Usually speaking downloads are fast and have no problems. Of course it's never as fast as hard wired type of service but we don't have that out here so it's the best we got so far. They replaced the antenna (radio) which made a little difference stating that it was bad and customer service at ASUS support (which usually they don't know anything by my past experience) but got a pretty cool guy who stated that the 2.0 USB was bottlenecking my speed and to get a PCI-E wireless adaptor card since the bandwith would be greater. I did do just that and see a very small difference but overall it's still very slow. My older model dell has a faster download rate than this system which doesn't seem right but maybe it is. Does anyone know what could be causing this? could really use someone's expert advice on this and help me fix it. Please let me know. Check my profile to see what kind of computer I built.

thanks
Squirrelshocked1

Hi,
first of all i think you wasted money on a PCI wireless card, the usb 2.0 ethernet adapter should support speeds of up 54mb/s at the lowest depending on signal strength, connection and which standard you're using (most are 802.11g by default) and the transfer speeds of usb 2.0 is something like 480mb/s anyway ...so.. yeah

just wanted to ask, that 4.5mps download, is that what your ISP quoted you? or can you back that up.
If you were quoted that, you were lied to lol. Most ISPs will always over value a connection. Even when i lived a 30second walk from my telephone exchange on ADSL, i still never got the 20mb download i was promised.

Even my friends on fibre never get what they have been promised. Its a fact of life, unfortunatly.
If you're on a wireless connection, try setting a different channel. Most wireless routers use default wireless channels from start up and any nearby connections on the same channel have been known to interfere, as most people just pull it out of the box and use the default settings.

whats this antenna, you speak of? how does your internet come through to your home? adsl? cable? sattelite?

Of course it's quoted LOL you never get what they say. It's always been fast enough but for some reason it's slow. Tried the different channel's but was just informed yesterday that they were working on our tower due to issues. I told them in the first place to check that but they knew it all (lol). I've never gotten 4.5 MPS I only wish. The signal actually comes from water towers that have 360 degree antenna's on them. It's a really great service but who knows what caused this cause my other computers are fast.

wireless signals such as that would definatly be quite erratic. Sattelite is only ever good for UDP based services because the connection can die at the drop of a hat and packets can be lost. I'd imagine the same with some kind of long range antenna

I'd invest in a wired connection :( all i can think of

Thanks for the info. I did look into the problem a bit and found that I had to go back to the USB 2.0 but needed to use a Linksys brank which matched by router N4500 and the USB adaptor was a AE3000. Don't know what the heck it was but it fixed the problem. Would say you were correcto and the PCI issue. Wasted money but returned the product and got it back anyways. The AE3000 did fix the speed but of course wireless is erratic still at times but way better then before. This wa also dual-band which was better and a 3x3 antenna as well so maybe that helped. Was frustrated for a bit until I installed it back. Wouldn't have thought my computer was that picky, lol who knew

Back
Top Bottom