Have a strange problem with wired internet (through mains)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberman128

Beta member
Youtube videos keep stopping and buffering, and then don't finish buffering, images sometimes refuse to load up, or only load up halfway, downloading games off Steam is a nightmare as the download speed will randomly drop to 0 bytes and then stay there until I've restarted it, and I can't connect to servers for any online game ever. Or I do for a split second but am then thrown off again.

However, most sites load fine, talking using any IM service seems to work ok, and the network and sharing center thingy at the bottom seems to think I'm constantly online.

This problem appears to stem from the fact that I've recently started using mains adapters to get a connection from the house modem, as I wanted a way of getting reliable internet straight to my room, while enabling others to use the connection at the same time if need be.

I also recently built a computer, and didn't get the opportunity to test it on my modem without any adapters in the way, so this could also be a configuration/software problem.

The modem is a BT Voyager 220V. My operating system is Windows 7 32-bit

Could anyone help me out here?

(I'm not very good with computers, so assume that I haven't tried anything yet)

Ah, sorry about that. Turns out it was Zonealarm being horrible.

Guess I'll be using windows firewall from now on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom