Hamachi not connecting to servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glith

Beta member
I am on a collage campus and I am trying to use hamachi to create a lan with my brother at home. The problem is that hamachi does not seem to be able to connect to the hamachi servers.

So this is what happens, I start hamachi and the hamachi window pops up. I click on the power button to start hamachi, and the status indicator at the top of the window says "connected". After about 20 seconds I get a pop up saying that "connection to the mediation server bibi.hamachi.cc has been unexpectedly lost. Would you like to reconnect?".

If I click "no" then hamachi powers down. If I click "yes" then the status indicator says "reconnecting", and no matter how long I let it sit there nothing happens.

I think the problem is that the school requires all the students to register their mac addresses in order to use the network. The registration process is automated and when I tried to register hamachi's mac address the registration program said that it had an invalid oui. Since the mac address is not registered I believe that the school firewalls are not allowing hamachi to access the internet.

My friend has a router that is registered and works just fine. His x-box 360 is plugged into the router and connects to x-box live. I know that he did not register the x-box's mac address. Unless my logic is flawed, this means that the school can only see the router's mac address and not anything on the router. This gave me the idea to try to run hamchi through the router instead of directly through the school network. However, hamachi gets the same error that it got before. I have tried port forwarding and assigning a static ip, neither of which has worked.

I do know that hamachi works with my computer. I set up a lan with it at my house before coming to collage.

So, is it a lost cause, or is there some way to get hamachi to work?

Some times system admin at unis block VPN's to clamp down of file sharing, go an ask them if they are blocking it first.

Why didn't I think of doing that earlier? :angry:

So yea, I went and asked and they are blocking it. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom