Guide to basic networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Since weÂ’ve seen a lot of home networking questions lately IÂ’ve decided to write up a little basic networking guide, hope this helps anyone needing help

Networking is fairly simple if you know the basics of windows, you must also know the basiscs of networking which will be explained as followsÂ…

The easiest analogy to understand the way computers on a network are identified is to apply it to the thought of a City(LAN, or MAN), or the street of a city(LAN or peer-to-peer), or even a network of cities(WAN)Each network(workgroup) must have itÂ’s own name, this could represent a city. All computers on the network must share the same workgroup name in order to communicate. Each computer must have a unique name which can be similar to the last name of the owner of the house. Each name must be different for the network to function correctly. Each computer/house needs its own address to Identify it as a node on the network(IP Address). Each node also has a physical address(this is not the same as the IP Address) this address is a hexadecimal set of 6 pairs of characters that are hard burned into each network device(MAC Address) these addresses are hard burned into the network device, this could be thought of as the house numbers that are attatched to the house, these can be changed but not always and it takes work to change them, it also doesnÂ’t always make sense to change it thereÂ’s usually never a use for it, especially in basic networking. Each portion of a large network(especially WANS, and MANS) must have a subnet mask, which is used to identify which portion of the IP Address is the network address and which is the host number, this is probably the hardest part to explain about basic networking.

Subnet masks let the computer know which network its actually on. For home networking, if youÂ’re only going to connect 2 or 3 computers you could use the following example

Computer one
Name: Server
IP Address 215.10.10.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

This means that the server computer is on the 215.10.10.0 network and itÂ’s host number is 1

Another example is this 215.10.15.1
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

Here the network address is 215.10.0.0 and the hose number is 15.1

For home networking all computers should have the same subnet mask and the same network address. Make sure of this or your network will not function properly.

For quick and easy setup for transferring files across one another I recommend you use this example

Host 1
Computer name (put name here)
IP Address 169.254.178.220
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Workgroup: Workgroup
Disable Windows Firewall

Host 2
Computer name (put name here)
IP Address 169.254.178.221
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Workgroup: workgroup
Disable Windows Firewall.

This is a basic home networking guide, please post any questions and I will continue to update this as needed.

next section: cabling, Hubs, routers, switches and use of crossover cables.

Why are you using a non reserved IP address in your examples? If you take a look your IP address is owned by someone on the internet and is not suitable for a LAN. Use 192.168.0.XXX as it's the most common. Infact, it's a militray IP address as well.

OrgName: DoD Network Information Center
OrgID: DNIC
Address: 3990 E. Broad Street
City: Columbus
StateProv: OH
PostalCode: 43218

NetRange: 215.0.0.0 - 215.255.255.255
CIDR: 215.0.0.0/8
NetName: DDN-NIC16
NetHandle: NET-215-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: AAA-VIENNA.NIPR.MIL
NameServer: AAA-KELLY.NIPR.MIL
NameServer: AAA-WHEELER.NIPR.MIL
NameServer: AAA-VAIHINGEN.NIPR.MIL
Comment: DoD Network Information Center
Comment: 3990 E. Broad Street
Comment: Columbus, OH 43218 US
RegDate: 1998-06-05
Updated: 2005-10-07

RTechHandle: MIL-HSTMST-ARIN
RTechName: Network DoD
RTechPhone: +1-800-365-3642
RTechEmail: HOSTMASTER@nic.mil

OrgTechHandle: MIL-HSTMST-ARIN
OrgTechName: Network DoD
OrgTechPhone: +1-800-365-3642
OrgTechEmail: HOSTMASTER@nic.mil

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2005-12-22 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

sorry, for one thing, its a private network, not available to public, where it doesn't really matter whan IP address you use as long as they're similar and have the same subnet mask

Nice Work

Well mate i would like u to carry on with thie GooD work u started there..

Can U make clear how to hook up 3-4 PCs together using Switches or/and Hubs..

And what if we want all of them to be connected for internet Access..

Like make one server .. and many more.. Or juz can u show me a link to learn this all :)

thanks in Advance
Regards!
Realin!

Connection Hardware and cabling.

This article will explain basic cabling for home networking along with the hardware you should get and will need to divide your high speed internet connection among several computers in your environment.

The most popular cable used in home networks is Cat 5 e (Category 5 Enhanced) This cable allows for up to 350 MHz 100 Mbps transfer if your hardware permits it. Drivers and software for most NICs come with windows 2000 or windows XP. What some people overestimate is that when people say 100 mbps they think they will be getting 100 megabytes per second, when in reality itÂ’s 100 megabits per second, and thatÂ’s just its potential, users rarely get that out of their network. You can buy your cat 5 cables at best buy, walmart, and pretty much any department store that sells electronics and computers. You can also make your own cables by buying an RJ-45 Crimper, CAT 5 E standard cable and RJ 45 Connector ends. Guides are available online for the standards of how wires are paired in them, you can make the cables any way you want, but I find it easier to just use the TIA/EIA 568B standard which is as follows

1: orange/white
2: orange
3: green/white
4: blue
5: blue/white
6: green
7: brown/white
8: brown

for a cross over cable you make one end the TIA/EIA 568A standard and the other the B standard, the A standard is as follows

1: green/white
2: green
3: orange /white
4: blue
5: blue/white
6: orange
7: brown/white
8: brown

pin one is on the left side when the release clip is facing down and the connector is facing away from you.

When youÂ’re connecting a computer to a computer you use a crossover cable, when connecting a computer to a hub, switch or router you connect it with a straight through.

Basic Network Hardware:

The first two items discussed here are very similar, in that they do the same thing but one is more efficient than the other. Hubs and Switches are used to form a workgroup for simple file sharing or printer sharing. Each computer is connected to a central switch or through a series of switches to form whatÂ’s called a Star Topology Network. Each computer can create a share and each computer on the workgroup will have access to that folder. Same with printers. When a signal/packet (part of a file or information sent over) is sent through a Hub, it broadcasts the signal to all listening computers. A switch shares files and printers also, but only sends the packets to the destination, or the computers assigned to receive the packet.

There are two typical kinds of routers, they do the same basic function but one is used for SOHO and home networks, while the other is used mainly in corporate environments where different subnetworks are used for different things on the network. The basic router used in SOHO and home networks is typically called a DSL or Cable router, this router has what’s called a WAN port (Wide-Area Network) and usually has a 4 to 8 port switch built in, each computer connected to the switch can share files and printers. Unless you have it setup to do so with port forwarding. Users out on the internet(through the WAN port) will not see these files. Your cable or DSL modem plugs in to the WAN port with a cross over cable, depending on your ISP your modem will pickup an IP from the ISP and the router will pickup that IP and “forward” that internet signal to all computers that are receiving a connection from the router. Unless your ISP assigns you more than one IP address you cannot just plug your cable modem into a Hub or switch and expect all connected computers to be online at the same time. It will not work. Your router has to have NAT or DHCP built in to send the signal out to the inside network.

Unless you have a DHCP server running on a server in your LAN with a Hub or Switch you will have to assign an IP Address to all computers on the network. While most routers have a built in DHCP server to assign all the computer son the network an address.

Summary

Mate what i got from above all posts is this :-

we can put a crossover cable to hook up two computers together... without HUB or Switch..

and if we want a HUB or switch to come in network then we need a straight cable.. okk.. got it..

And now i have five computers and i will make straight cables and put it in the switch.. so here no one is a server or a Client.. right ?

Okk .. say now i want to have a Server under which i have 4 clients.. so that the Server starts up then only the network starts.. right ??

unless and until there is no sharing.. of files, printer or internet..

By the way i simply am A noob in networking and i m Learning it from u mate.. thanks a lot..

OK the cable style which u told me through swicthes will also share internet connection if one of the PC is connected to a Radio Link through one more NIC..

Hmmm.. ??

and what if i want all PCs not to depend on each other for network access.. and i have a Radio LInk installed.. and a switch.. and 5 terminals.. then what shall be my steps..

well thanks a lot in Advance..

Wont mind if u mention That what is the Difference between HUB and Switches... and why does ppl. prefer Switches over HUB..

One difference i could find was..as u mentioned HUB sends packets to all Terminals connected in a network.. where as Switch transfers the packets only to the terminal for which it is meant..

Please make it more clear :)

thanks a lot buddy

regards
Realin!

I got a question, if i were to connect a pc to a router with a with crossover cable should i be getting random lag spikes for no reason, also my brother has a laptop and when we play the same game on teh same server ill get a 60 ping rate and my bro will be getting a 40 ping rate, it makes no sense to me.(he's running on wireless, im on a crossover cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom