Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness133

Solid State Member
I'm having a little problem with Group Policy....is anyone here proficient with it?

Cheers!
-Brian-

I have a created a "PC lock down" policy that states if a PC is idle for 15 minutes, the computer will lock. However, there are a few machines that I want to exclude from this, and I'm having trouble making that happen.

Cheers!

Are the people that use the "excluded" computers all in a group together? If not, it might be a bit easier moving forward. What I've done in the past is add groups, for most if not all of your custom exclusions. It made it a lot easier for me to keep track of them. Not really sure where exactly you are having problems though, can you be more specific as to:

1) OS running AD you are using.
2) Steps you've tried
3) Specific problems stemming from those steps that you are experiencing.

Server 2003 (Standard) SP2
Active Directory 5.2.3790.3959

This is what I did. I created this policy, and put it in the root of the domain. Then I created a new OU and put the machines in it that I wanted to exclude from the policy. I open up Group Policy, right click on the new OU and click on "Block Inheritance". I create a new policy and put it in this new OU, and the new OU will not adhere to the new policy. It will only listen to the first policy. Does that make sense?

Cheers!

Seems correct to me. Can you post some screen shots?
Also, you may want to check, if you haven't already, what links are active in the GPO that you have set. It just sounds fishy... like something is muffled with your link order of your GPOs. I don't know anything about your hierarchy, but thats a good place to start. Checking your OUs active links and then making sure that your link orders are set correctly. With your description, blocking the inheritance should work... but it's clearly not :) So, check those things starting from the BOTTOM and working your way up. Working from bottom to top may not work for you... i just find it easier for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom