Good wireless signal but constant disconnects from home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

N61wolf

Beta member
I'm new to wireless adapters so please bear with me. I have installed a Belkin N+ Wireless USB Network Adapter F5D8055 version 2 to my home desktop which is using Windows XP.
It has recognized my home router and receives a good signal, (it sometimes drops to 2 bars, but generally remains at 4 bars).
The router is a Netgear CG814WG v2 provided by my isp provider, Time Warner, and there are no internet connectivity issues when connecting directly to the router.
The problem is that I will have fast browsing and downloading for a few minutes and then lose the connection completely for a few minutes and this will keep occurring. The amount of times seems to vary, but this happens far too often for any kind of productive browsing experience/gaming to occur.
I have updated the adapter's drivers and disabled firewall and neither seem to have any effect.
I am unable to update the firmware of the router, as Time Warner does not provide this option.
When I run network diagnostics everything is fine when I am connected. I will attempt to post what is shown when I lose connectivity if someone believes it to be relevant.
To be honest, I don't know what information to provide to you guys about this issue and I don't know what to do. It's really frustrating as I've never encountered this problem before. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :sweat:

Does this connectivity issue occur when directly connected to the router?

How far are you away from the router? Can you bring it right next to the router and test it then?

I would hate to do it, but could you purchase another wireless adapter (or try maybe a laptop) to see if this is specific to your new adapter. It's possible it is DOA or broken.

Thanks for replying LexLuethar.
The connectivity issue does not occur when my pc is directly connected to the router.
The pc is a little less than 60 feet from the router.
It would be pretty difficult to bring my pc next to the router as there's not really any space or extra outlet.
I'll see about exchanging my adapter. I hadn't thought it might be broken ...

Ya, also 60 feet is well within the signal range for G but realize if there are walls, electric, metal pipes / plumbing, etc. These things will effect your signal strength. An example is my wireless router. Its only about 30 feet from my computer but i constantly lost signal when running network intense applications (games, downloading, etc). It worked great for internet browsing and what not but not gaming or anything download-intense. Reason being there is like 5 walls between the two devices and the signal wasn't strong enough at that distance.

Solution, I ended up installing the router in my office where my computer was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom