Good Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend wants to know a good router under $50. I really have no idea, so any suggestions?

Also, do we need to install software after installing a new router?

What kind of capabilities is your friend looking for?
How many devices do they want to connect to the router? (PC's, game console's...)
Do they want wireless capabilities?

I have to reccomend against D Link, this may be only my game, but those certain people who always have internet and connection problems, almost always have a D Link Router.

As for wired router, I reccomend the LinkSys bfsr41, its a great model, I have had no problems with it.

Ste said:
I have to reccomend against D Link, this may be only my game, but those certain people who always have internet and connection problems, almost always have a D Link Router.

As for wired router, I reccomend the LinkSys bfsr41, its a great model, I have had no problems with it.
'

BEFSR41 however the newer versions have had some problems (I am trying to RMA a v4 BEFSR41 right now)

If you want a good wired and wireless router, I suggest a Linksys WRT54GL

I would also advise against d-link, as the switch always fails and their overall ****.

DJ-CHRIS said:
If you want a good wired and wireless router, I suggest a Linksys WRT54GL
You cant really go wrong with a linksys, i dont think mine has ever died, although it did require a firmware update to function correctly when i bought it. Although it is worth pointing out that the DHCP server functionality is limited and you cant port forward to a different port. My most favourite router i have used is the BTvoyager240, purely because you can fire up a linux shell on it. Unfortunately the web interface dies regularly although all other functionality of the router remains. There is also a wireless version too. - although with BT being a british company i dont know whether you'll be able to pick these up outside of the UK

DJ-CHRIS said:
I would also advise against linksys, as the switch always fails and their overall ****.
I assume this meant to read 'i would also advise against the D-Link...' since you just recommended a linksys. I also would advis against the d-link since I wasn't too impressed with the D-Link we had on our network a while back, purely because it lacked true router functionality. I dont remember the model number, but it looked like the one bigbaddog posted a link to

Yeah I meant D-Link, sorry lol.

However the new linksys routers running the new OS die far too frequently. Their's just too many problems with them nowadays.

i would advise against there modems...but i have one of there new gaming routers and i have yet to have a problem...it runs fine...(d-link im talking about ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom