A Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rememberme

In Runtime
Hey, this is more of a general idea that I would like feedback on. I basically have 2 running computers, a running laptop, cable broadband and a computer that needs a few components...

At the moment the cable modem is plugged into one of my machines and that same machine is networked to another machine via a 4 port hub. Both have internet via ICS but the laptop does not unless I add it to the network via the hub.

I was thinking of using the computer that needs a few components (HDD and PSU) as some sort of server that shares the internet to the other computers via the hub and to the laptop via a usb access point I have... Here is a small diagram!

homenetworkdiagram.jpg

What would be the pros and cons of me using a computer in such a way? I was thinking that I would leave the machine on 24/7 so that the internet is always avaliable to all machines and the laptop, also having the printer on it so that can be used by all the computers and lastly, backup my music collection on it so that I can access music from each computer!..

Well first off, that is called running a gateway. The Pro with that is you can set it up to be extra safe from the net such as running a better firewall. The major con is, if that gateway computer has any problems, the other computers may be affected. Its a simple fact computers still crash. I wouldn't suggest doing that myself unless you really want some advanced firewall configurations. Unfortunetly because it is merely a hub there is not built in firewall so you would either have to use the gateway computer as a firewall or buy a router. Hope that helps!

I would agree too that ICS via software should be done away with. The better option is to purchase a router as mentioned and connect all your machines to the internet that way. You can still network all your machines with the router with no problems. Just setup a simple workgroup and reconfigure the machines. Just slap that cable connection into the router and run all your PC's off the router and bam your set and also have a decent firewall by placing a router on the network.

Ok cool. I just wanna get this other computer running... it seems a waste to have it lay about on the floor sad and depressed. With about £50 I could turn it on and make life a lot easier!

Alternativly I mught just buy a wireless router and stick a wireless NIC in each machine!?

You dont have to do wireless. Don't you have all your PC's hardwired via a NIC right now? Or how are they talking to the hub? Basically you moves wires from one box to another. The hub can do this as well, but as mentioned a hub is really "stupid" and will provide no security or options.

I'm not really fussed about security. Yeah my current system consists of two computers. One has the modem connected and the other gets the internet via ICS over a crossover cable.

I have a D-Link ADSL Wireless Router which I do not use and a netgear USB wireless adapter/access point (cant remember which one) I guess I could try and implement those some how? I know I can't use the built in ADSL modem on the D-Link, but maybe if I could use the 4 RJ45 ports on it, I could have the broken computer plug into a port on that and the other two doing the same... then I could have my laptop using s wireless feature and maybe plug the USB thing into one of the machines?

I would institude smoothwall or moonwall on the gateway computer.... Because... you may not be worried about secuirty now.. but you will be when someone hacks your stuff..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom