Going wireless for desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

In Runtime
Im thinking of going wireless for my desktop is there any negative effects of dong this or will it be faster than the traditional way of networking

Wired is usually the best way to go (if you can go). You shouldnt run into any problems with wired like interference and such.

In most cases I do not recommend going wireless on a desktop. I have seen a USB dongle melt in front of my eyes and be completely useless. If wireless was your only option there are two ways I would suggest:

- Linksys used to make a USB WIFI adapter that would plug into the desktop with a cord. The USB cord separates the adapter from the desktop and gives it some breathing room so it is less likely to overheat. Also, the adapter was much larger than a dongle. The model of this device was "WUSB54G"

-Powerline (Belkin or Netgear)- A powerline works as a "walkie-talkie", adapter A goes where your router or ISP is and B is placed where you want the desktop. The two connect through a wireless connection. There is no need for an adapter and or router. A powerline does not run off a wifi signal (like a repeater) but just passes the internet through the AB and/or C (a third adapter can be placed ).

The reason I do not suggest a Linksys Powerline is:

-I have gone through two of them and both were a fail from the start

-Linksys (from my experience) has had some quality control over the past year or so. Until I see some different results I don't recommend them to anybody but I will personally continue to try their products.

And I agree with oldskool, S0ULphIRE, and cyclones the issues with a wired connection are always less and more easy to troubleshoot and manage. A wireless connection is slower. I would suggest going wired if at all possible.

I go wireless on desktops, no questions asked, unless there is a specific reason with the structure I'm working with that I can't run an ethernet line. My buddy for example lives at home and drilling anything is a huge no-no since the house was just redone and it's in great shape now, so he just uses his USB wireless card for connection, which isn't much of an issue due to the fact the router is right beneath him.

But if I can, I try my best to go wired. If not, there's no downside except a slight loss in speed and possible interference that can play a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom