Gigabit network problems - WRT350N

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronkupen

Fully Optimized
I just bought a WRT350N router and a gigabit ethernet card for my desktop so I can finally have pretty good transfer speeds. The only two devices on my network are my linux server with the newly installed gigabit card and my Thinkpad T60 which has a gigabit card.

This router's specs say that all four ports have gigabit capability, but I only seem to be getting 100M speeds (around 10 MB/s transfers from computer to computer).

I'm not a very good networking guy, so after googling around for a day I still haven't solved the problem. What do you guys think could be the problem? The only thing that I think could be wrong is somehow the linux driver is limiting the speeds on my card.

Anyone have any ideas or websites that can be passed my way? I'd appreciate it.

Oh. My Laptop is running windows Vista and my Linux server is running Debian Etch and it is a samba server. I am also either using cat5e cables or cat6 -- there is no regular cat5 in my network.

This problem could be due to the language difference between the 2 OS's. Since you are running Vista and Linux it could be that the speeds are getting limited as they have to communicate with each other and that is causing this.

That would be my first guess. Are you able to test this with 2 Windows machines?

I think the problem ended up being the hard drive speeds. Although they were all 7200 rpm, my laptop hard drive just doesn't have the power to write at more than 15-20 MB/s. I kinda wish I would have thought about this before upgraidng my network, it slipped my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom