Gigabit LAN - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely...5e will work on gigabit but CAT6 is most certainly recommended. Even if I was a virgin cable shopper, I would look at the differences in frequency for the CAT5, 5e and 6 cabling and even knowing that 5e can handle gigabit, I would pay the extra money for CAT6.

-Mike

When you are running large amounts of network cable or if you already have a network in place it might be uneconomical to either rip out the old network or replace all the wiring with Cat6.
Most IT departments today operate under severe budget restrictions and replacing miles of Cat5e with Cat6 can add an unneccesary cost to your project. There is quite a difference in price between the two, especially when you need to buy, say, a hundred 1000 ft rolls. Now if I was building a new network from scratch, I would install Cat6 but it is really not necessary if you'er just worried about reaching gigabit speeds in an office network.

you cannot use that CAT5 cable with the gigabit network though. you must use CAT6 or higher for the gigabit network. even CAT5e will not work with gigabit.
The above was the statement that I was originally addressing

-Target

Yeah, like Target Said using Cat6 does add alot of cost, especially if u have a big network. so i would recommend Cat 5 Enhanced.

wow, thats nice info to know. i was telling him this from what i read from my networking101 classbook. maybe correcting it from 4 different people is kinda overkill though.....:rolleyes:

lol, i learned all my networking from 4 semeters of cisco in highschool, then im going to collage for networking.

oh yah Target i was looking at ur quote in ur sig, and last time i checked, Cat5e does have capabilities over Gig Ethernet, i could be mistaken though, cause i havnt actually tried it, but it can be used, just Cat6 is better to use with gig ethernet.

Yes, 5e will work with Gigabit....again ;)
(As I would say at work......"3 Ts") Tried, Tested, True.
My 2cents:

CAT5: Won't recommend it over ethernet ever again.

CAT5e: Recommend all the time. SoHo LANs or P-2-P are key and I don't recommend over 5e.

CAT6: I'd recommend in a brand new client-server environment over 10 PCs. It's easy to rewire 10 PCs or less but over this amount.....just spend the extra money and be happy now with the speed (rewiring later due to a need can be costly). In a pre-existing envo i'll mention it very lightly but hardly touch on it unless clients ask about future needs and growth. CAT6 is not only faster but it's more reliable. I would only mention it on a backbone though, not horizontal.

-Mike

CAT7: I'll wait another year ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom