Gigabit LAN - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglake

Solid State Member
If I set up my LAN with Gigabit switch, cabling and cards I have one problem. I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem which works at 100Mbits.

If this is hanging off the swtich, and running DHCP, will it slow down the network traffic. Ideally, it will only affect the ADSL connection, which will not need gigabit anyway.

anyone got any ideas?

ta!

what happens is that the router will only slow down devices to 100Mbps with devices connected to its own built -in switch. if you connect all computers to the 1gigabit switch and than just uplink the 1Gbps switch to the router uplink port than you will have no slowdown.

all computers on the 1Gbps switch will tranfer files with each other at 1Gbps. when they access the internet or other devices on the router's switch it will slow to 100Mbps. make sure all comps are on the 1Gbps switch and you will have no slowdown.

Great. I understand. All all makes sense.

another point - will a gigabit switch make a significant difference to my clients PCs sharing a large Access db over the LAN, or is 100Mbps plenty?

thanks for the help

my understanding of how acess database works is this: they send only the parts of the database you request over the network, they do not send the whole database file. so assuming that is correct, even a 100Mbps network would be okay

yes CAT6 is "backwards compatible" with 100Mbps networks. it will operate at the slower speed. you cannot use that CAT5 cable with the gigabit network though. you must use CAT6 or higher for the gigabit network. even CAT5e will not work with gigabit.

Thanks for your help

Two further questions for this cool forum

1. Since my modem DG834G has a hardware firewall, do I need to bother with Zone Alarm?

2. Since I'm upgrading my switches and routers, will gigabit be worth the investment for an office that mainly uses Access db and a few graphics. If it shaves a few seconds off Access forms opening then I'd say it's worth it - views ?

i looked up your modem it says"DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem and Router 802.11g" is this your modem?:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.html?quicklinx=2VCD&familyid=0

it says it has "SPI True Firewall" which is more than enough. since your modem has a good firewall than zonealarm would not be needed, unless you like having double protection. zonealarm would be a second line of defense. but personally, i would not even bother with a software firewall though, its overkill.

i say install the gigabit hardware if you have the money. economically i would say it is not worth it because the speed increase you get from replacing existing hardware with CAT6 cables and gigabit switches probably isn't worth it. i am not trying to stop you though, i say go for it if you can :)

Cat 5e will work with a gigabit network provided your run is no longer than 100 Meters.
_Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom