Getting ready for networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
Hi everyone just looking for your thoughts...

I'm about to turn 17 and have had a saturday job in a computer shop for quite a number of years, and even though the shop does not directly offer home-visit repairs I have found myself being sent on an increasing number of them, of which many relate to home and sometimes medium scale single-office networks.

Fact is I want to take this opportunity to become more of a professional...for example heres a rundown of what I know now...

I know the difference between a-c networks, I can set up wireless and wired routers, I have worked with both hubs, switches. I can happily configure port forwarding, I can work with email systems, set up web servers, folder, file and print sharing is no problem. I know the basics behind TCP/IP and can recognise different networking topologies, the advantages of which vary.

I however know that to be any good (I want to run a small on-site network and general pc troubleshooting busineess in the years to come) I would ideally be looking at Cisco qualifications, which is at the moment way out of my league until I can really build up some experience with large scale enterprise solutions, such as Intranet', VPN's, Domain controllers, etc.

I have enrolled on a ICT Practicioners BTEC (National Diploma) which at some point will cover networking, but I want to know so much more, like setting up authentication systems (hence the domain controller).

How do you guys recommend I learn, i only have two computers to play with and even though I regularly borrow books from the library i'd rather do what I read as I read to be sure of my knowledge.

Thanks
Kris

The best way to learn cisco is to buy a cisco router.

Also check out the book "upgading and repairing networks" as it goes over most area's pretty well in networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom