Getting the network to the garage

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, so right now I have a wireless setup feeding the entire house through a central location on the main floor. It's ok, strength get a bit weak at the ends but it keeps our tenant happy and works almost everywhere except my bed (far end) and the garage. I'm trying to fix that.

So the garage is a separate structure from the house, I'd say a good 60+ feet away. Basically it's house, driveway and then garage. Right now I get a signal that is strong enough to do the basics (surf, transfer files slowly) if I position the tower at the wall as close as it can get to the house. I have a workshop and I'm building a mancave on the second level so now I need a stronger signal.

The mancave has a 47" TV and so I'd like to be able to stream to it without lag. I'd also like to game from there as well. Both of these activities are not possible right now.

So I'm trying to decide how to best get this going. I know the best options is to run an underground cable from the router to the garage and then put a router in there to split lines to all the locations I want access. However, this is a costly and time consuming process, something I'm not sure I'll be able to pull off before the winter. Is there a simpler way to boost the wireless signal? Will a booster work well enough for that? I feel like it might make some difference but not enough.

The other thought I had was to run the cable under the driveway to the ground level of the garage and put a wireless router there for the upstairs mancave. That would save me drilling and fishing wires through the walls and floor.

What do you guys think?

I'd look into powerline adapters, honestly.

This would definitely be the easiest way to do it, but you have to make sure that the lines are on the same breaker box. Same breaker is most ideal, but obviously not always possible. Boosters just don't work like folks think. Your computer can have a great connection to the booster, but if the booster has a crappy connection to the main router, then your overall speed is still crappy.

This would definitely be the easiest way to do it, but you have to make sure that the lines are on the same breaker box. Same breaker is most ideal, but obviously not always possible. Boosters just don't work like folks think. Your computer can have a great connection to the booster, but if the booster has a crappy connection to the main router, then your overall speed is still crappy.

True, but its a simple solution, otherwise he'll need to cable the garage.. depends on how much work / money he wants to put into it I suppose..

Powerline adapters can be on different circuits nowadays.

I've still seen connectivity issues when they're not, but they have come a long way. I remember when they first came out and how terrible the connections were regardless of how you placed them.

I'm watching this one because I plan to do exactly the same (well except the tv) garage is s separate structure and I'm not sure how well the power line would work on mine, Garage has its own breaker in the box in my basement but also has another breaker box in the garage. (Main 50 amp breaker in house for garage) I do have a box of cat5e cable with plenty left from the house so I may just dig and bury some PVC and run a cable to the garage but easy and cheap would be better, I'm just wanting internet out there for working on things in the shop.

Dauntae, sounds like we're in pretty much the same spot. I have the Cat5e leftover to do it an am pretty sure I have the pvc as well....just hate digging up the driveway. However, I'd rather do it right the first time than have to re-do it next year.

Right now I'm close enough that I can get a weak wireless signal, enough to run you tube instructionals (usually) but streaming or gaming is not a go...which I'd like to have as an option.

How wide is your driveway?

You could get a steel pipe section, attach it to the end of the pvc, and use it as a tunneller.
basically hammer it in, pull it out clear the dirt, then repeat.

Are you guys sandy soil down there like us in Ottawa?

Back
Top Bottom