Getting Desktop Online w/o wifi

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Hello Techforums Community,
Happy merry Christmas Eve!

I'm home for the holidays with the parents house. I forgot to get a wifi-card for my desktop so that means no internet for me.

My house is set with a Cable using Time Warner's Ubee Router. Everyone here at my home including my sister pretty much uses wifi. I'm the only one with the wired connetion. I'm looking to connect to the wireless router.

I currently found a spare Netgear Cable modem. I plugged the ethernet to the main router [the router that has internet access, plugged into the coaxial cable into the wall.] From the main router, I have a along 25 ft ethernet cable stringing along into the Netgear Router. To reiterate, the main router is an Ubee Router. The router that I have in my room is a Netgear Router.

I'm looking to get my desktop connection. I got as far as going to right click the Network Adapter and changing the IP v 4 settings. I changed my computer's IP address to the same thing that was assigned to the router. And then when it came to the DNS part it didn't work out.

Objective:
Get my desktop online.
My desktop doesn't have a wifi card.
I do have a spare Netgear Router.
The main router is the Ubee Router.
I usually move my desktop into the same room as the Ubee Router in order to gain internet access.
I'd like to get my desktop online from my room.

Help!

Whats the error you get with DNS? Can you ping any of google's DNS servers from either router (8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2)? Is the netgear router on a separate network?

You changed the ip settings on your desktop, so you can reach the netgear router, right? Can the netgear router ping the Ubee router? it sounds like the Ubee router is also your cable modem so the netgear router would need to forward your traffic to the Ubee router and then the Ubee router will ping out. Does the netgear router you're using in your room have a repeater mode?

I don't know what to put in the DNS. What numbers should I put there?
I haven't been able to ping due to not knowing what to put in the DNS.

The netgear router is on the same network.

The Ubee network is where the internet is connected. My computer doesn't have wifi. So I plugged a physical ethernet to the netgear router/cable model. The netgear router/cable model is connected to the Ubee network.

I'm not sure how to ping from the Netgear into the Ubee. I'll use my computer and ping the Ubee router while connected from my desktop into the Netgear.

I'm not sure where to find the repeater mode. I couldn't find it.

Just to note, I don't want to repeat the wifi network. My desktop has no wifi adapter. I'd like my desktop to connect via ethernet.

Sorry for such a late response. I understand you probably don't need this setup anymore but just for information, I think i understand now, it sounds like you just want to turn your netgear router into a switch.

This article is a good example of how this could be done for future reference. How To Use a Router To Add Network Ports - SmallNetBuilder.
Some routers may not be able to preform this functionality.

Also just a thought but if the netgear router is in the same room as your computer, why couldn't you just connect the 25 foot cable to the desktop?

Last edited:
Sorry for such a late response. I understand you probably don't need this setup anymore but just for information, I think i understand now, it sounds like you just want to turn your netgear router into a switch.

This article is a good example of how this could be done for future reference. How To Use a Router To Add Network Ports - SmallNetBuilder.
Some routers may not be able to preform this functionality.

Also just a thought but if the netgear router is in the same room as your computer, why couldn't you just connect the 25 foot cable to the desktop?

Just got this message as well! No worries. Thanks so much! I have decided to just use a long ethernet wire in the meantime before figuring out how to do the switch. Do you have a direct email and or number?

Back
Top Bottom