Gaming wireless ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dav536

Baseband Member
I have 3 gaming pc's set up in my office at home, They are all networked together and share my cable internet. I am needing to move 2 of them out, one will be going in the room next to the office and the other out to the living room(about 20' away) My quest. is Will this affect game play if I go wireless? and if not what kind of equipment would work in this set up?

thanks,
Dave

Depends on the game, but generally speaking, wireless speeds aren't really suitable for gaming at this point. There are so many factors that affect your speed/gameplay already that you can't control, I don't want my wireless connection to be another one.

Wireless speeds are more than suitable for gaming, especially on a LAN. When you play on the internet the most speed you're getting is whatever your ISP gives you, generally no more than 5-7Mbps at best. Wireless can be anywhere from 11Mbps to 108Mbps depending on the hardware you get, which is much much faster than any internet connection you have.

The only issue with wireless is that the further away from the router you get, the less stable your connection is. Not to mention all of the variables that deteriorate your connection - cordless phones, microwaves, walls, etc.

I use an 802.11g network and 4 rooms and one floor away from my router I still have a 24Mbps connection as I type this. Assuming there's nothing interfering with my signal, gaming would be just fine.

In my opinion, wireless connections/speeds just aren't stable enough to where I'm comfortable playing games online. Yeah, in optimal conditions I might get 24Mbps out of my 802.11G router, and though that's way faster than my internet connection, that number fluctuates a lot, and sometimes the connection drops all together. For just web browsing, etc that's fine, you won't even notice the variating speeds or dropped connection. But when I'm flying a mig-17 over the rice fields of Vietnam providing air support to the troops, I'm comforted knowing Im wired in at 100Mbps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom