Gaming Desktop cannot connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Hey, this is the first time my C2D gaming pc, which I love, has ever given me a network problem that I couldn't fix with a simple reset. I am just running onboard LAN via my Gigabyte DS3 965p motherboard's ethernet port. I am running a wired connection through a Linksys router to my Motorola high speed modem (I have Comcast cable). I was on the net earlier, but after eating dinner and trying to get back on a few hours later, I get the usual "the page cannot be displayed" error on internet explorer.

I un-plugged both my router and modem for 5 minutes each, and plugged them back in. This usually does the trick. Still didn't work. I went into my "network connections" on the control panel, and disabled, then repaired my local internet connection. Strangely, my desktop is the only one that cannot connect at all to anything (AIM, MSN, IE7, games ect.)

My xbox is online right now, and the laptop I'm typing on downstairs wirelessly is good. And, my pc can still ftp to my xbox, if that helps at all. Any suggestions on what I should do? I've ran into this problem before, but on my old pc at least a year ago. This is very frustrating :( Thanks

Sounds like either the NIC is dead or you have a defective CAT-5 cable. Try a different cable first. Can you ping anything? Ping your router, another PC, google.com, etc. If those fail, ping 127.0.0.1 If that fails, get a new NIC.

If a new cable doesn't work, switch ports on the router. If it still won't work uninstall the drivers for the Nic and reinstall them.

Ok I turned on my rig today, and tried connecting to internet explorer, and AIM ect. None of it worked. However, just for the heck of it, I opened up Final Fantasy XI (online mmo) and surprisingly, I connected fine. I'm currently running that flawlessly online and all. So, surely my cable is not bad. I will switch ports though since you told me to.

I find it strange that my computer will only run FFXI and not IE7 or AIM...Yes, I believe I tried pinging my router. I'm not sure it worked. Windows gives extremley poor instructions on how to do it through command prompt. Thanks for the help.

You open a command prompt by clicking start>run and type cmd in the box then hit enter. Then type ipconfig /all and hit enter. This will give you your IP address and your DNS server and your default gateway and DHCP server which would be your router. Then type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which would be your default gateway and hit enter. If you get a reply you are good. Also ping the DNS servers while you are at it. Any ping that times out is a bad thing for you. Also do you have a firewall that may be blocking access?

one thing that i dont think I have seen mentioned. have you tried connecting the computer directly to the cable modem, bypassing the router? see if that works. if it does then look below , possibly your router firmware is messed up.

try flashing the firmware on your router maybe. if you can log into it that is.

sounds like it is blocking certain transmission ports. internet is port 80. that seems blocked somehow to your pc maybe. but it is letting FFxi connect on different ports.

very very strange. I definately suggest a flash to the new firmware for that router , something has got very messed up.

also , run any virus / spyware scans on that C2D pc lately? a infection could mess up the tcp stack pretty bad. which would make it hard to get online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom