G Wireless Internet Access -- Is There A Need For This...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
I don't think I mean it like it sounds but...

We have 4 Mb/s cable, and a wireless router... now stating the fact, 802.11b goes 11 Mb/s, and 802.11g goes 54 Mb/s (or faster with certain configurations), and now the question!

Many people have been telling me it's better to have a wireless G router/card for speed, is it true? It seems like b is more than double the speed of my cable, so are they just 'wrong' or am I being stupid? :p -- note that distance doesn't matter! And this is counting soley the internet connection!

lol, Thanks:)

In reality B is 4-5 meg :)

802.11G is great if you have a network that you activly use, for file sharing and printing.

Yeah, I use it for file sharing, but I have people telling me that it actually boosts the internet speed (with my 4 Mb [mega bit] cable), which I think is a farce--just wanted to be sure with someone else confirming it as so!

So can anyone confirm this?:p:)

thanks!

Xula said:
Yeah, I use it for file sharing, but I have people telling me that it actually boosts the internet speed (with my 4 Mb [mega bit] cable), which I think is a farce--just wanted to be sure with someone else confirming it as so!

So can anyone confirm this?:p:)

thanks!

This is possible to boost your "speed' because 11 meg at a distance will do alot less than 11 meg.

On some routers I can connect at "11" meg, but in reality im getting 200 KbPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom